Procedures on House MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robotMutant

Bioengineer/Pre-med
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I know that House (the television program) is largely unrealistic, I was wondering if there was a medical specialization in which one could perform many of the procedures shown on the show. In other words, would, for example, an internal medicine physician, perform similar procedures to House's Foreman or Chase?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I know that House (the television program) is largely unrealistic, I was wondering if there was a medical specialization in which one could perform many of the procedures shown on the show. In other words, would, for example, an internal medicine physician, perform similar procedures to House's Foreman or Chase?

Thanks.

Sure. Just do IM residency, then an ID fellowship, then subsubspecialize in Diagnostic medicine.

That was my sarcastic voice. Use the search, there's been plenty of discussion of this topic.

No, there isn't a path to be a neurologist who first assists a liver transplant, or a surgery path that will allow you to perform procedure on the entire body the way Chase does.

There are many programs and paths that will let you be treated like a child and verbally abused by your attending though, not sure if you would consider that a procedure.

Reactions: 3 users
I get so pissed off when I see Foreman doing surgery like? He's a neurologist, not a surgeon; how is he even allowed to be in the OR..

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)