Process of Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adventureinlens

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all so im planning to turn in my application this week through optomcas and I was wondering how long is the process until they call u for an interview? and how long is the process after the interview before u know u get accepted or declined by a school?
im taking my oat 8/31. Ive been studying throughout summer with coursesaver and destroyer any tips?
Also I have a current gpa of 2.6 i know its low but i have a really strong extracurricular background with optometry you think ill be good if i get a decent oat score?
 
What is your science GPA? I’ve seen many posts on here with gpa of 3.0 get accepted with a high OAT around 330
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends on the schools and your OAT scores. Applicants with very high scores could hear back in a week for interviews while others could hear in a couple of months after applying. I heard back about acceptances a week or two after my interviews.
With your GPA you're going to want to score a very high score on the OAT (350+).
Have you considered post-bac or a masters degree to boost your GPA?
 
its around 2.5-2.6
Not sure how you're going to get in never mind stay in optometry school with a 2.5-2.6

May want to consider a post-bac or SMP.

Even with an insanely high OAT, your GPA is far below average and may not even make it past auto-screeners.

Email the programs you're interested in and ask what their typical or minimal GPA requirements are. Highly doubt 2.5 will match any of them.
 
I know people who have gotten in with a GPA around 2.8ish. A high OAT score (330+) with good experience in optometry can definitely offset a low GPA.

BUT, I would find out from each school you're applying to whether they have a minimum GPA requirement and how strict they enforce it since you don't want to waste money applying to a college just to get your application discarded in the very beginning due to a low GPA.

Look into a one- or two-year post-bac program as a last resort.

Good luck!
 
I would say to apply as early as you can. With rolling admissions, the sooner you can get an application in the better.