Procrastinated like a ****, have one week to cover 40 lectures.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. Maybe my lecturers talk faster or something. 2.4 is about my limit.
Yeah, I don't know what these people are listening to. Anything past 2.2x speed sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks on cocaine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I don't know what these people are listening to. Anything past 2.2x speed sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks on cocaine.
I don't even know how you guys can even keep up at 2x. For most of my lecturers my max is 1.5x and even then I find myself pausing/rewinding to catch up. Unless you aren't taking any sort of notes whatsoever. How long did it take you to get used to such speeds?

I don't even know how you guys can even keep up at 2x. For most of my lecturers my max is 1.5x and even then I find myself pausing/rewinding to catch up. Unless you aren't taking any sort of notes whatsoever. How long did it take you to get used to such speeds?
Depends on the prof. I can do >2x on a couple of peeps. Some I can only do 1.4 or else I cannot understand a word they say-- I blame the accents...

I usually go to class, so anything above 1.25 sounds ridiculous to me

Literally the only reason I'd go to class is if the professor uses a laser pointer to point things out on the screen, and the video quality isn't good enough to actually show it.

Reactions: 1 users
I sincerely do not understand attending lecture, unless your school doesn't record it.

I definitely pause to take notes. It's still faster because the useless parts that I don't need to take notes on go much faster.

And I'd say it took a month or two.

You have to train yourself. You have to gradually increase the speed until you can keep up with 2x. Once you get used to 2x, normal speed will sound painfully slow.

I am not worthy...that is phenomenally impressive.

Are you reviewing or learning that much material before the exam? I get it if you're reviewing, but if you're learning that I gotta ask what you're taking. There's no way you're learning 1300 slides worth of material in one day unless 1/2 to 2/3 are just cat pictures.

This keeps me grounded, as I admittedly lack self discipline. I think coming from the military, medicine was a natural progression because everything is spoon fed to us and it's a linear path where you know where you'll be 5-10 years down the road.

Lol, not sure where you go, but I can tell you this is completely false at a lot of med schools. Our path textbook is big Robbins, we have minimal lectures (1 for every 2-3 chapters) and we get tested on minutiae. We're basically on our own, at least for that subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you reviewing or learning that much material before the exam? I get it if you're reviewing, but if you're learning that I gotta ask what you're taking. There's no way you're learning 1300 slides worth of material in one day unless 1/2 to 2/3 are just cat pictures.

Lmao that's what I was wondering.

my top is about 1.7x speed on videos. it sucks for us because some lectures I feel I need to go to because our video recordings are just the PowerPoint with voice recorded over it. makes it difficult to know what they're talking about when they laser point and say "know this structure" lol

Lol, not sure where you go, but I can tell you this is completely false at a lot of med schools. Our path textbook is big Robbins, we have minimal lectures (1 for every 2-3 chapters) and we get tested on minutiae. We're basically on our own, at least for that subject.
"Lol" there is no need to get your jimmies rustled. Yes I'm learning a lot in that time - maybe over 2-3 days. And if you don't consider black and white information out of a textbook to be spoonfed, I can't argue with that. Good day.

"Lol" there is no need to get your jimmies rustled. Yes I'm learning a lot in that time - maybe over 2-3 days. And if you don't consider black and white information out of a textbook to be spoonfed, I can't argue with that. Good day.
Ur signature....

The first part was more directed at CherryRed that said they were learning 20 lectures worth of stuff in 1 day. That's still a lot of material though, and Idk how you would retain it long-term. Just because it's straight out of a textbook doesn't necessarily mean spoonfed. I mean, would you consider having to know minutiae from 9 chapters worth of Big Robbins in 1.5 weeks with essentially no lecture slides/notes to be spoonfeeding? Because I'd equate it more with taking a 2-story beer bong with whisky instead of beer.

The first part was more directed at CherryRed that said they were learning 20 lectures worth of stuff in 1 day. That's still a lot of material though, and Idk how you would retain it long-term. Just because it's straight out of a textbook doesn't necessarily mean spoonfed. I mean, would you consider having to know minutiae from 9 chapters worth of Big Robbins in 1.5 weeks with essentially no lecture slides/notes to be spoonfeeding? Because I'd equate it more with taking a 2-story beer bong with whisky instead of beer.
I'm not saying med school is a cakewalk, but it's not conceptually difficult at all. There's little to no guess work and by second semester first year, you'll realize what you have to do to get whatever grade you're capable of. At any given point you know what you have to do to succeed: study. It's that simple. Spoonfeeding if you will.

I'm not saying med school is a cakewalk, but it's not conceptually difficult at all. There's little to no guess work and by second semester first year, you'll realize what you have to do to get whatever grade you're capable of. At any given point you know what you have to do to succeed: study. It's that simple. Spoonfeeding if you will.

It's very easy when you are spoonfed information and asked to regurgitate on multiple choice tests. The real challenge is remembering everything and applying it to your patient when you have no time to think or look things up

That's fair. I just assume that when people say spoon-feeding that the subject they're referring to all aspects as a whole. Definitely doesn't take a genius to understand the majority, if any, of the topics, but the volume is not what I'd consider easy.

It's very easy when you are spoonfed information and asked to regurgitate on multiple choice tests. The real challenge is remembering everything and applying it to your patient when you have no time to think or look things up
I'll fight that beast when I get there. Right now, my job is to be a professional test taker.

funny-student-job-interview-real-world-skills-i-can-do-tests-comic-pics.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

No joke, one of our instructors spent 1/3 of every powerpoint file posting dank memes.

I sincerely do not understand attending lecture, unless your school doesn't record it.
Because I'd wake up and go back to sleep if I didn't have a place I needed to go to

Reactions: 6 users
Decided to skip a lecture yesterday morning, result? Professor intentionally didn't use recording software that they usually use. Decided to go to an 8am class this morning. Result? Found out the lecture will not be tested :( could have gotten that extra hour!

Decided to skip a lecture yesterday morning, result? Professor intentionally didn't use recording software that they usually use. Decided to go to an 8am class this morning. Result? Found out the lecture will not be tested :( could have gotten that extra hour!

ez owned

Rekt

That sucks bro. My condolences.

I'm suffering from such a lack of motivation here that it sucks. We have a true pass fail curriculum and I'm just planning to get a 76 on everything to pass and enjoy life as much as I can in the interim.

I'm suffering from such a lack of motivation here that it sucks. We have a true pass fail curriculum and I'm just planning to get a 76 on everything to pass and enjoy life as much as I can in the interim.
RTC, you're setting a bad example for the youngins on the pre-med forum. Shame on you.

a 75 is failing for you guys?

I've realized that it's pretty difficult to gauge when you're at 75 vs. say, 85 level of understanding for an exam. so even though I just want to pass (70 for us), I end up doing better because I just work as hard as I'm willing to so I can ensure I pass

I've realized that it's pretty difficult to gauge when you're at 75 vs. say, 85 level of understanding for an exam. so even though I just want to pass (70 for us), I end up doing better because I just work as hard as I'm willing to so I can ensure I pass

I think this is how most people approach it in my class. I study the way I study. Whether I'm getting a 75 or 90 I'm studying the same. It's kind of hard to gauge the effort to just pass w/o risking studying too little and failing.

Reactions: 2 users
At my school, 70 is pass, but everyone studies super hard because no one just wants to pass (we have class rank by quartiles). Our average for the first anatomy exam was 84, and for histo it was 91. I think for our next anatomy exam on Monday, the average will go a lot higher just cuz everyone is studying a lot better now. It's intense, to say the least lol.

Yeah. And we're not even strictly P/F. But we get by :)
Med school would be so much more chill if it was straight up pass fail (mine isn't).

A 75 is passing at my school but not desirable because it's below average. Lol there's this dude at my school who preaches "if you're not first, your last." It's a pretty competitive environment.
I mean, yeah, no one WANTS to be in the bottom half. But, c'est la vie I suppose. I bet he's as big of a tool as his saying implies.

Med school would be so much more chill if it was straight up pass fail (mine isn't).

I mean, yeah, no one WANTS to be in the bottom half. But, c'est la vie I suppose. I bet he's as big of a tool as his saying implies.

Med school is about teaching docs, not about being chill

Med school is about teaching docs, not about being chill

So schools with true pass fail produce worse doctors? I somehow doubt it.

what are the averages at your school? 80 is pretty high since avg is usually around 84 here
We haven't had an exam block yet, but I hear most pass. And passing moves down to 75 second semester of M1. Then graded 2nd year.

our averages have been high 70s for anatomy so that's brutal. I guess schools might tailor their exams to the passing grade though.

RTC, you're setting a bad example for the youngins on the pre-med forum. Shame on you.

I'm not 40 lectures behind tho.

a 75 is failing for you guys?
70-75 is marginal pass. We're allowed like one of them.

Yeah, I know. I just need to get my ass in gear.