Production: What should I negotiate for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredvm297

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since job searching is about to begin followed by reviewing contracts, a question popped into my head: What should be included in my production? I have heard that medications typically are something that aren't included, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice about what they wish was included, or see as having necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Since job searching is about to begin followed by reviewing contracts, a question popped into my head: What should be included in my production? I have heard that medications typically are something that aren't included, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice about what they wish was included, or see as having necessary.
Medications should absolutely be included. I would flat out refuse to work somewhere that didn’t include meds. If I didn’t get income for every patient of mine that was on $100/month of medications, that’s $240 per year per patient that I am personally not getting paid for.

OTC and other topical flea/ticks and prescription diets have such thin profit margins that typically they are calculated at a lower percentage. But FDA labeled drugs including preventatives were counted fully where I worked (so nexgard, Revolution, etc...)

As an associate, my perspective is that you should be paid production for all medications and services including labwork. Only things that should be excluded maybe rx diets, cremation, and tech appts/boarding/grooming that have nothing to do with you (e.g. anal glands expression, nail trims shouldn’t be credited to you, but booster vaccines should). If you recommended a recheck NSAID panel which was drawn during a tech appt rather than a recheck appt with you, you should still be paid for that. And as explained as above, EPA labeled preventatives likely at a lower rate.

Also, I would do whatever I could to get no negative accrual. AND credited average production for any paid time off (e.g. if you took 2 days off in Feb when you earned $40k over 20 shifts, they should do something like calculate your production for the month as if you produced $44k). Because if they don’t do that, you’re really not getting paid time off. It’s just unpaid time off where they’ll guarantee you’ll at least be paid your base salary (if you’re on prosal) if you don’t make production that month. That only works if you habitually don’t make production...

Reactions: 2 users
income for every patient of mine that was on $100/month of medications, that’s $240 per year per patient
Me trying to do this math...

Calculate Figure It Out GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
100/month for the patient--> 1200/year
1200/240 --> 5 --> 5% production on prescriptions?
I calculated it as 20% production on $100/mo is $20. Times all 12 months of the year is $240 for that patient.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
100/month for the patient--> 1200/year
1200/240 --> 5 --> 5% production on prescriptions?
Oh hell no. I wouldn’t work for 5% production!!!

Other way around. 240/1200 = 0.2 = 20% production.

jaynaAli is right. I was just going off of the most common production percentage (and easy to calculate as an example) of 20%. Twenty percent of $1200 = $240

to put things into perspective, to earn a base salary of $80k with 2 wks vacation and 4 day work week assuming 20% production, you have to produce $2000 per day. When nexgard/Revolution is like $25 a month, apoquel for a month might be $80, a course of clavamox or baytril can run in the hundreds, etc... it would hurt you quite a bit if meds were not included.

in case math needs to be explained:
$80k salary = $400k produced
80,000 / 0.2 = 400,000

$400k / 50 weeks = $8000 per week to break even

$8000 / 4 days = $2000 per day that you have to bill clients

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Sure.

Or

St Patricks Day Rainbow GIF by TipsyElves.com

I'm with turn & burn...this is reason #101 why I think salary might always be a better fit for me haha.
You’re not wrong. It’s super hard to navigate, and not something you want to be worried about while you’re treading water humming “I’m a real doctor. I’m a real doctor” to yourself... which is why a lot of people recommend salary your first year out (if not forever). Much easier to negotiate all of this **** with your employer when you first go on production. It’s often too late to realize after the fact that you’ve been shafted, as it’s harder to negotiate terms later.