Productive Study Methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted877060

This semester, I have found myself overwhelmed with one of my classes: lots of information to process and understand in a short amount of time (each lecture is like 40 slides and each slide is a wall of text of complicated pathways, data, and experimental design, etc). It is NOT straight memorization -- we have to learn, understand, and apply every concept. When I study for exams, even though I try my best to study everyday, I end up burning out from the information overload, and I know classes in med school would be like that except worse.

So, what kinds of things do people do to stay productive when they study, and how do people handle classes like this?
Also, when I study, I don't like to take breaks unless I feel really tired. I was wondering what kinds of things people like to do during study breaks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This semester, I have found myself overwhelmed with one of my classes: lots of information to process and understand in a short amount of time (each lecture is like 40 slides and each slide is a wall of text of complicated pathways, data, and experimental design, etc). It is NOT straight memorization -- we have to learn, understand, and apply every concept. When I study for exams, even though I try my best to study everyday, I end up burning out from the information overload, and I know classes in med school would be like that except worse.

So, what kinds of things do people do to stay productive when they study, and how do people handle classes like this?
Also, when I study, I don't like to take breaks unless I feel really tired. I was wondering what kinds of things people like to do during study breaks. :)
I found group study the most effective. Each member re-teaches a selection of slides in their own way. I personally found that if you’re able to teach it, then you know it.

On study breaks, I like to color! I have a Disney princess coloring book. It’s just relaxing and reminds me not to take myself too seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
Study for 50 minutes, take a break for 10 minutes. When taking a break, do something productive (take a walk, do push-ups etc.). Don’t get on social media.

Also, when learning concepts, write it all down on paper and study what you wrote instead of looking at slides. Your brain is more easily able to retain information you write than just staring at slides on a screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in undergrad - I was a nomad. I would study for 45min-1hr in one spot and then move to another spot and repeat.

Reactions: 1 user

Do you get the tests back? Carefully examine how previous test questions relate to the info on the slides. Do you have a source of practice questions such as old tests from the class or a textbook. Ask your Professor about the most high yield way to study for the course, but don’t settle for “everything you need to know is on the slides.”

I like to simultaneously walk and study if the subject matter is brute memorization