Prof on Sabbatical, need to redate LOR for future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have a 1 yr old LOR from a prof that's now on Sabbatical and out of reach, are you required to get the LOR redated for your current application year? If so, why is this absolutely necessary for med schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody? Do we really need to redate older letters?

Thanks

i applied a year after i finished college, but i asked my profs/PIs/EC people to write letters before i graduated. so all but one of my letters (my current boss) was over a year old by the time i applied. NBD.

Members don't see this ad :)
THanks. That's what I assumed, although I think the only person this affects is you- Because their letters basically cannot comment on what you're doing during the time up to you apply, right? I'm not sure why the schools would make a big deal out of dating your LORs for the current year.

THanks. That's what I assumed, although I think the only person this affects is you- Because their letters basically cannot comment on what you're doing during the time up to you apply, right? I'm not sure why the schools would make a big deal out of dating your LORs for the current year.

1. you should definitely try to get at least one current letter. is there no one you're working with now who could write one? if not, it's still not the end of the world. your letters are only a year old.
2. schools don't make a big deal about this-- i'm not sure why you thought they would. stop worrying.

1. you should definitely try to get at least one current letter. is there no one you're working with now who could write one? if not, it's still not the end of the world. your letters are only a year old.
2. schools don't make a big deal about this-- i'm not sure why you thought they would. stop worrying.

I only have the sabbatical problem with 1 prof. the others will be current. But thanks