Profanity Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kpap

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been thinking about starting a podcast and I wanted to know specifically how profanity in the podcast would look, especially going into medical school and residency further down the line.

The profanity would obviously not be directed at any individual or pertain to any sort of derogatory comment. I am wondering more about swearing online and how that looks in the medical field with regard to applications/matching.

Members don't see this ad.

Your choice but I would avoid profanity. It’s minor but it’s unprofessional. As a future healthcare professional you’re representing not only yourself but your school and even physicians in general. I doubt a podcast with profanity would get you in trouble or cost you any opportunities; it’s just not putting your best foot forward.

Reactions: 2 users
Don’t do it. It will come back to haunt you. Don’t put anything online that you wouldn’t want a patient to hear.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your choice but I would avoid profanity. It’s minor but it’s unprofessional. As a future healthcare professional you’re representing not only yourself but your school and even physicians in general. I doubt a podcast with profanity would get you in trouble or cost you any opportunities; it’s just not putting your best foot forward.
Thank you for the reply, I'll keep this in mind.

Applying to medical school includes reducing risks. This is a risk fully under your control. Therefore do not take the risk. The probability of the risk occurring is small but the potential impact, that is being a negative factor is admissions consideration, can be huge, that is keeping you from getting acceptance. Not doing the podcast, risk is ZERO. doing the podcast, the risk is above zero.
Thank you for the feedback, yes you certainly bring up a good point about the magnitude of impact. Does this sort of risk also apply for matching into residency later on or would it be viewed differently?

Don’t do it. It will come back to haunt you. Don’t put anything online that you wouldn’t want a patient to hear.
Very good point, thank you for bringing that up.

Why do you feel the need to put out a podcast? Will it help you achieve your goal of becoming a doctor? There are thousands of words in the dictionary. Aren't you able to articulate your thoughts without profanity?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users