Professional athletes and med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

REMMAH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I play baseball in college and there's a good chance I'll get the opportunity to play professionally, so I wanted to see if there are any other pro athletes on this forum that have been through the application process.

I'm sure playing professionally is viewed positively by adcoms, but how much do you think it adds to an application?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I play baseball in college and there's a good chance I'll get the opportunity to play professionally, so I wanted to see if there are any other pro athletes on this forum that have been through the application process.

I'm sure playing professionally is viewed positively by adcoms, but how much do you think it adds to an application?

an nfl player went to ucsf

We've had at least one NBA player and a number of Olympians and semi-pros. It helps, but it does not make up for glaring deficits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed an anesthesiologist who was a defensive back for the Bengals back in the 80s. It is definitely a possibility. Plus if you get a good enough contract and don't blow the money, you could graduate med. school debt free.

I really hope the Mariners draft you if you're good.

I met a former NFL player at Northwestern. He was also a Stanford grad. Really cool funny guy and I'm sure his background was a factor in getting him in at NU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timi_Wusu

We've had at least one NBA player and a number of Olympians and semi-pros. It helps, but it does not make up for glaring deficits.

Yeah, Columbia eats that stuff up.

I met a former NFL player at Northwestern. He was also a Stanford grad. Really cool funny guy and I'm sure his background was a factor in getting him in at NU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timi_Wusu

Well besides the fact that he seems to be the type of guy that was ridiculously good at whatever he does so I'm sure his numbers were not lacking either haha

Well besides the fact that he seems to be the type of guy that was ridiculously good at whatever he does so I'm sure his numbers were not lacking either haha

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iohyp73_dvc[/YOUTUBE]

So it works the same way as college admissions: athletes that won World Championships or got an Olympic gold medal while in college will have a better chance in med school admissions (even though they'll definitely have less time to participate in medicine-related activities and study for school)?

Members don't see this ad :)
A girl I work with is applying this year and swam at Omaha at the us Olympic swim trials...barely missed the chance to go to London.

Although not of the US variety, Pau Gasol of the L.A. Lakers turned down Medical School (University of Barcelona) to become a professional basketball player ( I guess that decision worked for him). Both of his parents are involved in Health care.

So it works the same way as college admissions: athletes that won World Championships or got an Olympic gold medal while in college will have a better chance in med school admissions (even though they'll definitely have less time to participate in medicine-related activities and study for school)?
Don't hate... appreciate!

Since right now the Olympics is on TV. Look up Amy Chow.
I think most of them retire before they join medical school.

@CopaceticOne, don't hurry to make judgments :p There's no hate at all. In fact, I have deep admiration for those people. Being an athlete while prepping for med school must be very hard.

Congrats on the med school btw!

Last edited:
http://regents.wsu.edu/distinguished-alumni/recipients/olerud.html

Dr. John Olerud played professionally for a few years while in medical school. He eventually gave it up to practice medicine and do research full-time. He came back to WSU last year to give a speech and talk to a select few premeds. You probably have heard his son's name though, which just happens to be the same.

I was drafted in 2012 and have played the past two seasons. Chemistry major undergrad (3.9+) and have not yet taken the mcat. I shadowed for a month in J-term but other than that have very little ECs. The fact of the matter is that Division 1 baseball is a full time job and severely limits any other academic pursuits (regularly 20+ hours/week in the fall and more during the spring and summer leagues). I hope that adcoms realize this but not having gone through the application process yet I'm not sure how it will be treated. Any thoughts on how to improve my application for next year during this off season? Plans now are to study for a january mcat and finish my degree this fall.

Do well on the Mcat. I would try to fit something in that shows some altruistic qualities. I think most adcoms will understand considering the nature of playing a sport.

Since your grades are good and assuming you do well on the Mcat...you should be golden. Being an actually unique applicant only helps you.

Very cool. As an avid sports fan would be cool for you to be my classmate, lol

Thanks, I also know research is helpful, but coming from a liberal arts school I haven't had any outside experience with that either. Triaging priorities, you recommend MCAT first, then volunteer hours at a hospital or something, then research? I've had many opportunities to participate in various events associated with my team which would definitely be considered altruistic. But they are simply appearances such as reading at libraries, playing with underprivileged children, volunteering in Miracle League (handicapped baseball league). I guess my question is what are some unique ways to get involved and show my commitment to help others and impact lives in an immediate way, perhaps even incorporating baseball and the platform it provides.

Thanks, I also know research is helpful, but coming from a liberal arts school I haven't had any outside experience with that either. Triaging priorities, you recommend MCAT first, then volunteer hours at a hospital or something, then research? I've had many opportunities to participate in various events associated with my team which would definitely be considered altruistic. But they are simply appearances such as reading at libraries, playing with underprivileged children, volunteering in Miracle League (handicapped baseball league). I guess my question is what are some unique ways to get involved and show my commitment to help others and impact lives in an immediate way, perhaps even incorporating baseball and the platform it provides.

The answer to your question is in bold.

Get some experience seeing what physicians do... your team doc might be a good start to help you get your foot in the door.

Some of what we look for in terms of teamwork, leadership, coping skills, critical thinking, etc you have given your involvement in baseball.

http://regents.wsu.edu/distinguished-alumni/recipients/olerud.html

Dr. John Olerud played professionally for a few years while in medical school. He eventually gave it up to practice medicine and do research full-time. He came back to WSU last year to give a speech and talk to a select few premeds. You probably have heard his son's name though, which just happens to be the same.

That's wild. It's the MLB great, John Olerud's dad. I never knew his dad was a physician and also went to WSU. Thanks for posting!

@CopaceticOne, don't hurry to make judgments :p There's no hate at all. In fact, I have deep admiration for those people. Being an athlete while prepping for med school must be very hard.

Congrats on the med school btw!
It is...

We had 2 Olympians and probably 5-8 people who played sports in a class of 125 at WashU. The admins eat it up but they still have to have the goods academically, if not all the crazy ECs. With baseball it's especially difficult because it eats your whole summer when you would otherwise have time to get in a lab or something else. If nothing else having med school as a backup will allow you to negotiate a better salary for your minor league contract.

Good luck.

We had 2 Olympians and probably 5-8 people who played sports in a class of 125 at WashU. The admins eat it up but they still have to have the goods academically, if not all the crazy ECs. With baseball it's especially difficult because it eats your whole summer when you would otherwise have time to get in a lab or something else. If nothing else having med school as a backup will allow you to negotiate a better salary for your minor league contract.

Good luck.
I wish that we're the case. They like the idea of having athletes that are intelligent but definitely pay attention to people that have "backup" plans and look for any excuse to say they aren't committed to making it to the big leagues. For me baseball is something that I love but not as much as medicine. I think I qualify academically for almost anywhere (3.89/38) but you're right about no research opportunities and limited volunteer time. Hopefully some will understand.

I wish that we're the case. They like the idea of having athletes that are intelligent but definitely pay attention to people that have "backup" plans and look for any excuse to say they aren't committed to making it to the big leagues. For me baseball is something that I love but not as much as medicine. I think I qualify academically for almost anywhere (3.89/38) but you're right about no research opportunities and limited volunteer time. Hopefully some will understand.

You'll be fine.;)

Ay yo, I'm da best CORNER in da game son.
U-Dub Med, wutttaaat.

Demonstrating excellence in any activity to a degree that is objectively impressive is a pretty powerful thing on your app. By "objectively impressive" I would mean something like being a scholarship player - or really even being on the starting team at a large D1 school. It speaks a lot about you as a person, as anyone who has ever dedicated themselves to something with some kind of intensity knows.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just be able to speak candidly and be insightful about your experience both in your app and in your interviews and you'll be fine.