Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Professional dress??

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by strawberryfield, Jul 24, 2006.

1. strawberryfield

Attending Physician
    I'll be a 1st year next month... looking @ my orientation schedule, we'll be seeing patients on the 1st day of classes and it says professional dress required... what do you suggest wearing for this??

Help from females appreciated... I have a lot of nice knee length skirts and dresses, many patterned/silk/linen nicer (maybe "going out" and more summery outfits) but I don't really feel any of them are appropriate to see patients in, at least, if I were a patient I wouldn't expect my doc to dress like that... but I am also not interested in wearing a suit jacket under my white coat, seems like it would be too hot.

Should I suck it up and buy some plainer stuff from Pennys or something?? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Banned
    Banned

Medical Student
    Whenever they say "professional dress" I wear scrubs.

4. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    wear pants, no skirt.

5. Kubed

Kubed Mostly Harmless

Resident [Any Field]
    HAHA! Totally!

6. strawberryfield

Attending Physician
    I wear scrubs all the time now for my current job, so I certainly would love to wear those rather than half a pant suit... ;) plus then I wouldn't have to buy anything :rolleyes: I guess maybe I'll have to wait and see if scrubs will be ok @ KCOM, unless anyone out there knows already:cool:

7. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I dont think wearing scrubs that early is such a good idea. In this situation, im fairly certain 'professional dress' does not mean scrubs.

8. strawberryfield

Attending Physician
    don't worry, I won't be much of a risk taker (at least not fashion wise--LOL) for my 1st week of med school! :oops: thanks for the advice! :D

9. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)

Wow, patients on the first day...

Skirts that come just below your knees should be fine (nothing above the knee), with a conservative shirt, and closed toe shoes (nothing strappy, nothing open toed). Dress pants are always appropriate. If wearing a white coat is required, you have a lot of room with what types of tops you can wear--any nice button down or blouse, just nothing too low cut or too tight.

10. NY Musicologist

NY Musicologist Career Changer

Basically, if it looks like you could go clubbing or gardening in it, it's a no.

And don't forget: if you wear makeup or jewelry, keep it neutral/unobtrusive (incl. fingernails, which should be short)--nothing that's attention-getting or that could become tangled up in an instrument or a pt's sweater/hair should you be so lucky as to actually get to assist with an exam or a procedure. Your hair should be neat and out of the way.

I'd second the no-scrubs-yet advice as well, unless it's common practice at your school and/or you're launching your candidacy for "uber-gunner"...

11. DrFeelgoodMD

DrFeelgoodMD below is a TRUE avatar...

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    It probably depends on how strict the department is with dress code. I was working in the hospital the other day and a smoking hot resident entered the elevator with me...when i looked, she was wearing the most professional pair of shorts that came up above the knee I have ever seen (and they werent even tacky...quite good looking actually...I guess they are in style this year) and a nice top.

Needless to say, I was mesmerized :love:

J

12. Lyrian

Lyrian Inquiring Mind

Resident [Any Field]
    I would recommend slacks over skirts. I personally feel a little more self-conscious in a skirt and always worry that something is out of place. A nice pair of khakis or a pants suit are always winners, in my book.

Also, unless you're extremely comfortable in heels, consider wearing flats. I don't think I need to tell you how embarrassing it is to trip or fall off your shoes in front of someone you are attempting to impress. ;)

13. Northerner

Northerner Coquettish Haberdasher

Why in God's name would a school have students "seeing patients" on the first day? Sounds sketchy.

14. DrFeelgoodMD

DrFeelgoodMD below is a TRUE avatar...

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I think what they mean is that they start clinicals.....im not sure to what extent, but I think that is what she means.

J

15. strawberryfield

Attending Physician

Yes, we have clinicals starting on the first day of classes...why is that sketchy??? I'm not sure of the extent yet either, but I'm sure we won't be doing complete physicals and making diagnoses on our own :rolleyes:

they want us to be comfortable around patients from the start... Is it better to not touch a patient until 3rd year???... :confused: jeeze :rolleyes: I think not...

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member

Fellow [Any Field]

No but on the first day is a bit much.

18. VALSALVA

VALSALVA sh*t or get off the pot

Attending Physician
    Coming from KCOM...I can say that this initial experience is going to be quite benign. With that being said, it IS unnecessary and, personally, I'd rather have more patient experiences mid-quarter to help break up the monotony...that's just me though.

Dress-code wise...this must be a new thing this year. I agree with the above posters that going with a skirt or pants initally is a can't miss. Scrubs later on might be an option - and should be! I think all the dress code stuff blows, but that's just me!

Good luck!

19. Northerner

Northerner Coquettish Haberdasher

On the first day of your first year, you are basically the same as an undergraduate. Saying you're "seeing patients" is misleading, that's why I said it was "sketchy".

Another thing: "won't be doing complete physicals" - no kidding, you haven't learned anything about a physical yet, the word complete seems unnecessary. "won't be...making diagnoses" - no kidding, you have no medical knowledge. That goes without saying.

The intent was not to offend, but to clarify. I guess undergraduates "see patients" too when they shadow and such, maybe that was what you meant.

And your last question I'll ignore, since no one even implied anything of the sort.

....I don't know why I took the time and energy to nitpick your post, but there you have it.

20. my alias

my alias Member

What she wrote is the most accurate and practical answer. Start with this until you get an idea of what works. I would add to wear comfortable shoes, & flat heels if you're clumsy like me. Also, if you have very long hair, you might want to wear it up or back so it's not all over the place. It's also embarassing when you wear your stethescope around your neck and it gets stuck in your hair. :laugh:

I just started 3rd year, and I tend to dress more conservative, with closed shoes, skirts below the knee, dress shirts, etc. But I do see a lot of 4th year students in strappy flip flops and sleeveless shirts. So I guess as you're there longer, you'll know what you can get away with, and more importantly, what you're most comfortabl with. Good luck!