This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsycheDrJ

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's crunch time and I have written several drafts for my personal statement and other essays for the Texas application. I'm a perfectionist and would feel significantly better turning my drafts over to an experienced professional to fine tune them or tell me I need a complete reboot and guide me in that if necessary. Does anyone here have experience with a reliable personal statement writing service that does not cost >$300?

1) Clearly I know how to write, I have graduated undergrad so I am also accustomed to the free editing services available to me. PLEASE do NOT comment that I should write my own statement ( I already have ) or hand it over for free edits to a stranger as I know about this and am not comfortable with it (you won't convince me otherwise). Do NOT suggest someone without a degree in English or without professional editing experience.

2) Please comment below the service you or someone you personally know used and your/their experience. Time is of the essence. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a professional but would highly recommend writing your PS in a better voice than that post.

Reactions: 17 users
Not a professional but would highly recommend writing your PS in a better voice than that post.

Comments like these are literally why I wrote the post in that voice. Reading comments like these all day searching for a real answer is frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just a note, but people on this forum remain professional and refrain from name calling ; Some one once said, "youll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

also it would help you to relax because its going to be a LONG application year.

Reactions: 6 users
You don't deserve it, but here's a gem I found on the inter webz: servicescape.com
super cheap compared to everyone else in pre-med mark-up land.

My university's health career office had professional personal statement editing available for students and alumni. Check if yours has the same. Ask if they're selling better attitudes, too, while you're at it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My apologies if I came off brash. I had literally read all the personal statement editing posts on here that date back to like '02 and none of them had straight forward or helpful replies... kind of like the trolly replies on here. I simply wanted the question I've been looking all over the internet for ANSWERED, instead of given unwarranted alternatives, that's what all those stipulations were about. There was no attitude, I was just attempting to make things as clear as possible which clearly is hard to do online.

I would have offered to edit your statement for free, but hey, I'm unqualified I guess, what with my 100% success rate on getting people in post-edit, my having reviewed a veritable mountain of statements in the past without editing them, and my personal success at getting into medical school and every job save for one that I ever applied for. The irony is, I've had to go back and clean up the work of some of these "professional" editors for people because their work has been disinterested and bland garbage.

Good luck. Choose wisely.

I literally just rewrote my personal statement after receiving enlightening information, it's supremely rough and while I would've appreciated free and experienced service, it takes time that I no longer have. I was looking for a 24-48hr turn around near perfection so I can submit my apps ASAP.
Thanks for the luck that I obviously need to choose wisely between no vetted choices :)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand the problem you have with having people on SDN having a read even though you don't know them. I understand you don't want people copying whatever you wrote but many of the PS readers are people either already accepted, in MS, or physicians themselves. Most of the "professional" editors are a money grab and sell you the false sense that you have a unique PS. Statements are somewhat generic, there's only so much you can say about going into medicine. As long as its sincere and coherent, it should be fine.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey just a note, but people on this forum remain professional and refrain from name calling ; Some one once said, "youll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

also it would help you to relax because its going to be a LONG application year.
You don't deserve it, but here's a gem I found on the inter webz: servicescape.com
super cheap compared to everyone else in pre-med mark-up land.

My university's health career office had professional personal statement editing available for students and alumni. Check if yours has the same. Ask if they're selling better attitudes, too, while you're at it.

It would behoove you to keep your unsolicited thoughts to yourselves, thanks in advance :)

I don't understand the problem you have with having people on SDN having a read even though you don't know them. I understand you don't want people copying whatever you wrote but many of the PS readers are people either already accepted, in MS, or physicians themselves. Most of the "professional" editors are a money grab and sell you the false sense that you have a unique PS. Statements are somewhat generic, there's only so much you can say about going into medicine. As long as its sincere and coherent, it should be fine.

I see what you're saying and thankfully a physician here id reach out to me privately to offer some feedback which I greatly appreciate, it's just free work at this point won't move along quickly enough. I have my ideas all shelled out I just needed someone with fresh eyes and experience to cut down my word count and verbiage quickly so I can submit THIS Tuesday. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking that rush of someone without paying them honestly. I also felt that going with a service would alleviate some stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see what you're saying and thankfully a physician here id reach out to me privately to offer some feedback which I greatly appreciate, it's just free work at this point won't move along quickly enough. I have my ideas all shelled out I just needed someone with fresh eyes and experience to cut down my word count and verbiage quickly so I can submit THIS Tuesday. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking that rush of someone without paying them honestly. I also felt that going with a service would alleviate some stress.

If you want, I can take a look. I was accepted to a M.D. school this past cycle and have a bit of experience with personal statements, not just medical school ones. I majored in the humanities and have pretty extensive writing background. Let me know; I can address sentence structure and content issues. I understand if you prefer a professional though.

It would behoove you to keep your unsolicited thoughts to yourselves, thanks in advance :)

It would behoove you to keep a heavy lid on that snark for interview season and the rest of your time in medicine

"Professional editing services" are why adcoms are loathe to attribute an excellent PS to the talents of the applicant. How are adcoms to know where your writing ends and your paid consultant's begins?

Here's my advice: If you are so confident in your writing, save your money. Ask a few close friends or professors you've worked with to look things over. The more confident you are in your writing, the fewer people you'll need. Going from a borderline applicant to a surefire acceptance because you doled out $300 to some "professional" seems unlikely.

Remember, you have secondaries to look forward to, as well. The real measure of your writing will be taken into account there.

OP, just ignore some of these trolls here. This is just the tip of the iceberg that is medicine.

I might be late for a reply. But I used Brain, gurufi.com, to edit my personal statement. I also needed fresh eyes to revise my statement after having a friend and advisor read it. I worked in the ER and one of the PAs recommended me to him. I was very pleased with the outcome. Being a non-native english speaker, I struggle with sentence structure and word choice, but he was able to help me with this, but still keep my voice. He also helped me shortened it, which was much needed. I know I am not the greatest writer and $300 was difficult for me to spend (comparing it to other services, it is much cheaper), but I don't regret it. I highly recommended him. As for secondaries, I think they are easier to write because they are more focused, unlike the PS that is so broad so I struggled being concise and clear. Also, I am applying in Texas and some schools don't even have secondaries so I wanted my statement to be the best it could be. Best of luck applying!

OP, just ignore some of these trolls here. This is just the tip of the iceberg that is medicine.
Trolls? Hardly. We provided serious and concise advice to the OP.

Most PS editing services are terrible at worst and middling at best. I've personally redone their work for some applicants. OP should ultimately do their own PS anyway, as a PS that is incongruent with your secondaries can make some people take note, depending on how bad your writing is compared to the person who edited your PS.

Reactions: 3 users
Brian from Gurufi is awesome, very approachable and gives excellent tips on what kinds of PS to use and edits it in a very captivating way! Highly recommended.

Just wondering how useful these services are, and what kind of service is 'accepted'? Does it edit the entire AMCAS or are there services that do? Can't you also shine in your written communication skills writing about all those experiences?

Will any of the above take a look at my personal statement please? :)

I highly recommend Brian from Gurufi. He is very talented. He made my essay's overall flow very smooth, and cut off redundant meanings and made the sentences simple and powerful. Even though we were telling the same story, the way he told it was way more vivid and touching. The price is fair and the results definitely exceeded my expectation.

If you want, I can take a look. I was accepted to a M.D. school this past cycle and have a bit of experience with personal statements, not just medical school ones. I majored in the humanities and have pretty extensive writing background. Let me know; I can address sentence structure and content issues. I understand if you prefer a professional though.
Are you still accepting statements for review??

I would have offered to edit your statement for free, but hey, I'm unqualified I guess, what with my 100% success rate on getting people in post-edit, my having reviewed a veritable mountain of statements in the past without editing them, and my personal success at getting into medical school and every job save for one that I ever applied for. The irony is, I've had to go back and clean up the work of some of these "professional" editors for people because their work has been disinterested and bland garbage.

Are you still offering to review statements??

0023CCC0-F13D-474C-9C53-520B0A35956A.png

hello, I was wondering if you would still be available to proofread??

As a personal opinion, the best reviewers are likely your mentor within the specialty of your choice or someone who knows you. I would not pay for revision unless you have have difficulty with english/grammar/spelling and need a "foundation-level" revision.

Last edited:
Necro bump but I recommend fiverr.com

There were plenty of people to pick from and I used one of the more popular editors. I was super happy with my edit and I think I paid $40 for the premium package. If people are interested I can PM the name of the guy I used.

Edit: got lots of questions in my inbox about the guy I used so I’ll put it here. I used jakewmoss and his prices are higher now but still affordable IMO.

Last edited:
I used Brian from Gurufi to edit my personal statement. Before I sent it to him, my PS had no flow. But he kept all my ideas in the edited PS and enhanced my sentence structure. Overall, I'd say it was really worth it. He also has tons of 5-star reviews. I promise he won't disappoint.

I'd love for you to give me an opinion on my PS if you have the time! though I know this is an old thread.

Idk why Brian is advertising in this thread ^

That being said, fivver has cheap editors who are MDs or current med students. I had 2 people look over my activities and personal statement for $100

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Yup can add another agreement to the Fiverr recommendation as well. I used a few of the people on the page I linked that I liked

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know how successful the OP's application cycle was....