Professional Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychbound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Just a quick question....

Can someone explain the difference between a psychology and professional psychology program? GW's clinical PsyD falls under professional psychology and I'm not sure what all of the implications are.

Thank you!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there is no inherent difference in the programs themselves (though there are often actual differences), its just the type of institution that offers them.

Generally speaking, professional schools want YOUR money, non-professional schools want the governments money (via grants you help them get).

Professional school is a polite way of saying you're unlikely to get any funding, and will probably come out with a ton of debt.

That being said, I could be wrong on this so take it with a grain of salt. But that is how I have always heard it explained.

Edit: Also - professional programs are generally only loosely tied to the university itself and are generally free-standing institutions.

*This is a very polarized topic, so I'd request that people don't flame and/or go too far off track. This has been covered in the past, so this thread won't re-invent the wheel. Let's see how it goes.....*

Professional schools are free standing (not associated with a university), and were basically a response to produce more trained (doctoral) clinicians. Some argue they are not needed...I happen to think they have a place, but I think they need to be overhauled, downsized, and the quality made more consistent. (obviously, just my personal opinion)

I think the training can vary greatly; I know graduates from some that are excellent, but others who suck (to be blunt). Traditional programs can also produce excellent/poor clinicians....so YMMV.

They tend to not be very well funded (if at all). I think this is one of the biggest knocks. The rep of the schools definitely vary......the funding and larger size tend to be the two biggest knocks. I think you can still get very good training, but it will be more costly (obviously) and you need to make sure to align yourself with the right mentors. Traditional programs don't guarantee great (or even good) training, so make sure to do your homework.

Basically......do your homework, whether or not you are looking at traditional programs or at a professional program.

-t

Members don't see this ad :)
Fairly much all of the listed programs are for-profit.

I'd argue that most/all of the university programs are not. That being said, most will still cost you $$. I think it is important to understand that investment, and to weigh if that is worth it to you. Someone mentioned that it may cost upwards of $1,000/mon to repay...definitely something to consider.

-t

....generally little respect from an academic standpoint. These are not top or even mid-tier universities for the most part.

I think it depends on the program. I've mentioned in other threads...if academia (full professor / tenure) is where you want to end up, you should look very long and hard at traditional Clinical PhD programs. There are exceptions, but academia is very picky about stuff like that, and because of the demand....they can pretty much hand pick who they want.

I go to Nova (a university based program), and I think the clinical training is great, but the funding sucks. I knew that going in, and for my situation it fit, but I definitely want to put it out there....some people don't want to take on debt, and I can respect that.

-t

You all have been really helpful...thank you so much for responding. I am not interested in teaching, or much research--much more interested in clinical work which is why I chose the PsyD. I just wanted to get your advice on whether or not going to a school of professional psychology had negative implications---because I keep getting mixed responses. Thank you all for your guidance :)

I just wanted to get your advice on whether or not going to a school of professional psychology had negative implications---because I keep getting mixed responses.

Psychbound, unfortunately you won't get a consensus on this forum about whether going to a professional psychology program has negative implications. You mentioned that you've gotten mixed responses in the past, and the same is true here - there are greatly varying views on the subject. If you do want to hear others opinions about a professional psychology program, I'd suggest you search some of the older threads where it has been discussed in depth. Good luck!

I'd suggest you search some of the older threads where it has been discussed in depth. Good luck!

Agreed.

I think an important point to make....you can get very good clinical training at a professional/traditional school, it all depends on the specific program and/or with whom you work with.

As for GW....I looked at the program 4 years ago, and I thought it was pretty decent, but it didn't make my list because of the location (I was from the area, and I wasn't a fan of DC)

-t

DC is a great place to study. Regardless of your program you can take classes through the Washington Area Consortium (George Washington, Georgetown, AU, U. of MD, George Mason, American, Catholic U.). And with the amazing hospitals/NIH and the outstanding clinicians here, so much beyond your program is possible. You do need to be independently motivated, however, and if you plan to take advantage of a variety of training possibilities, you will need a car.

i know several graduates of the gwu psyd program who are all excellent clinicians and really enjoyed their experiences.