ImplantKing

Doctor of Medical Dentistry - MWU
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After four attempts of applying to and each year presenting its prolonging adversities, was an acceptance over a thousand miles away from my wife and two children the right decision?

In the beginning, it was just my wife and I. Starting our marriage young and both of us beginning our careers, we were eager to get the ball rolling. Once we FINALLY got out of that apartment, it seemed the pieces were falling in to place. Though, after some years working as a dental technician I felt it was time to look at the future of my family, and my future family!

Fabricating removable appliances for our local dentists was a great opportunity for me, given my interaction with the patients and having a better understanding for the field as a whole. This would end up being an important motivational tool for me as I continue to work my way through dental school. And, I would highly advise anyone seeking a career in dentistry to apply for a position at a local dental laboratory doing anything you possibly can, because this will be an invaluable opportunity for you.

We fast forward four years after receiving my undergraduate degree to when I was accepted to dental school. The catch: leaving my wife, son and daughter to pursue a career my wife and I have dreamt of for so long. They visions we had leading up to this point were to heavy for us, as a family, to pass up this blessing; a true blessing.

One thing I will say is the loneliness you experience while away must be limited. As we work our way towards being a medical professional, perfectionism seems to be inevitably etched in to our character. This leads to me being extremely hard on myself, especially when times are quiet and there is no one to turn to. My hopes are to possibly reach out to anyone who is in this position, who might face this position or is looking for help in general. I never want anyone to have to experience the deteriorating atmosphere of being alone...because it can being quite infectious on your mentality without realizing it. Reach out for help and never, like I was, be too proud or prideful to go beyond your comfort zone in asking for advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user