Professional way to leave job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblewrap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently working at Walgreens. I have an interview for a hospital position in a couple of days, my goal has always been to be a hospital pharmacist.

I was wanting to know how I should go about telling my store manager about this. I read this thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/leaving-your-job-professionally.553671/

It looks like I should tell someone only when I get the job offer and that I should be reporting to the DM and put in a 2 weeks notice, is this correct?

I'm not sure how I should be notifying the DM, but that doesn't matter right now, since I don't have a job offer, just an interview. But there were a lot of posts on that thread saying I should meet with the DM in person, is this really necessary? I ask because her office is 2-3 hours away. If I were to call her instead, would I just say I'm leaving Walgreens?

Should I tell my store manager and the other pharmacist I work with (who is the PIC)? What do I have to do at this point and what do I have to do if I get an offer?

Sorry, I've never hopped from one job to another job before.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a little bit ahead of ourselves are we not? Simply send an email to your DM once you are sure you are giving your 2 weeks notice or as soon as you are sure you will be leaving. No other communication is necessary.

Reactions: 5 users
Do not tell anyone you are applying for a position with a different company. Not your techs, not your pharmacists, not your district manager. No one. They only need to know when you hand in your professionally worded two week notice.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Getting a little bit ahead of ourselves are we not? Simply send an email to your DM once you are sure you are giving your 2 weeks notice or as soon as you are sure you will be leaving. No other communication is necessary.

I may be getting a little bit ahead of myself lol, but it just feels weird not telling anyone and just emailing a 2 week notice when it's all done.

I may be getting a little bit ahead of myself lol, but it just feels weird not telling anyone and just emailing a 2 week notice when it's all done.

Why would it feel weird? What do you have to gain by telling your coworkers "I'm thinking about quitting this job"?

Reactions: 3 users
If you are actually on the fence about leavinfg you could try to negotiate more money and benefits to stay. I'd probably lay out your demands via phone with the intent of it being your 2 week notice.

Don't tell ANYONE about anything until you have a job offer sitting in your lap. Once that happens I would probably spend time time writing a nice email to your DM and give them a call. It would also make sense to speak to your partner to let them know before you walk in for your shift and tell the staff. It doesn't have to be a big ordeal.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree completely with the above, EXCEPT if you have a particular person you work for or with as one of your named references. Absolutely do not blindside your references with a cold call from your 'possible' future workplace. You should always ask your potential references if they would be willing to be one if a prospective employer contacts them.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree completely with the above, EXCEPT if you have a particular person you work for or with as one of your named references. Absolutely do not blindside your references with a cold call from your 'possible' future workplace. You should always ask your potential references if they would be willing to be one if a prospective employer contacts them.

Yeah for sure. I was talking to someone who does hiring just the other week and she said that people put down references all of the time without asking. Then when she calls the reference and finds out they were not aware the applicant looks like an idiot and obviously isn't getting hired.

Yep. 2 weeks notice is the professional standard, but for references make sure it is people you have a personal relationship with and make sure they know what's up. You can probably wait for the interview at least for this.

I'm personally a fan of giving as much notice as you are currently scheduled. I gave 6 weeks notice at my last job because the schedule came out the day I got the job offer.

New manager very much respected that I didn't want to leave old employer out to dry and leave mid schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
2 weeks is the minimum notice for pharmacists, 4 weeks for managers. Obviously it's nice if you can give more notice, but its not necessary and no one should hold that against you.

I understand the motivation not to leave your colleagues in the lurch but most chain retail is not even a professional environment so why do you care that much?

If you have a vindictive boss you'll just end up being flagged as "do not rehire" anyway. You might also be told to leave immediately.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand the motivation not to leave your colleagues in the lurch but most chain retail is not even a professional environment so why do you care that much?

If you have a vindictive boss you'll just end up being flagged as "do not rehire" anyway. You might also be told to leave immediately.

I had an intern who took an offer at Walgreens before he jumped ship to my location. He had worked there all through pharmacy school and gave his boss a 2 week notice letting him know he was coming here. They told him to leave immediately, wasn't allowed to finish out the 2 weeks.

Kinda odd to worry what someone thinks of you when they don't let you eat lunch, chew you out for not getting enough rewards cards, ignore that you can't go to the bathroom, and never approve your vacation, no?

Reactions: 2 users
I agree- I did the same. I'm still very close with my former employer. I think this management to respect me. I was a good pharmacist and I know if I ever relocated to the area I would get a job there in a heart beat.

Exactly. They've emphatically told me that if things don't work out at the new job I'm more than welcome to come back. I've used them to write LORs without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Let them have it.

I would close during the busiest hour and let them feel it but I'm not going to jeopardise patient care.