Professionalism: Asking a preceptor to share dropbox contents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IowaPharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

As a student or a resident, have you ever had a preceptor with a perfectly organized dropbox of publications and guidelines with easy to navigate folders and think, "Wow, this is way better than my dropbox collection!"?

I'm a PGY1 and now that I've been a preceptor I understand wanting the student to do their research so this definitely isn't a rule to apply across the board. The case I'm referring to is the ONE colleague with a sharedrive worth drooling over.

Is it professional to ask them to share their life's work of research with you?

Seasoned preceptors, how would you respond to a student's request?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t been in this particular situation before, but our department’s common drive has a LOT of resources for consumption that is freely shared amongst staff. These include years of clinical presentations by past students and residents.

Since students are part of the department for six weeks, we can’t exactly “hide” stuff from them, so we don’t.

I wouldn’t care, honestly... let the student have access, because I have access as a colleague if I asked a colleague for their own personal library, and we treat our students like colleagues for the duration of the rotation.

I’d rather them spend the time UPDATING rather than building some personal library...since those presentations come back to staff and enrich us all.

Side note: I hate preceptors who force students to do stupid assignments “just because” that don’t actually have anything to do with our clinical workflow. If you’re assigning them a presentation, better be on something the department needs to be updated on. /rant

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users