Army PROFIS redeployment question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for the hive mind: they're prepping the paperwork to get us PROFIS docs back from our 9 month deployment, which is back through CRC at Bliss. they are insisting we fill out a DA31 to "cover us" for travel to CRC. we're on deployment orders, and I simply can't accept being charged for "leave" when we're traveling home from a deployment. has anyone done this recently and does it make any sense?

thanks in advance. i wonder if i just refuse to fill it out what will happen. i assume they'll send me home anyway, lol.

--your friendly neighborhood nothing is ever simple caveman

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no army person, but I agree with you that doesn't make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm redeploying in a week (profis as well through CRC)..... no DA31 for this guy..... sounds like craziness to me....

Members don't see this ad :)
$&@k that. What are they going to do, leave you there?

I'd get verification from at least two people above that guy.

Quick question for the hive mind: they're prepping the paperwork to get us PROFIS docs back from our 9 month deployment, which is back through CRC at Bliss. they are insisting we fill out a DA31 to "cover us" for travel to CRC. we're on deployment orders, and I simply can't accept being charged for "leave" when we're traveling home from a deployment. has anyone done this recently and does it make any sense?

thanks in advance. i wonder if i just refuse to fill it out what will happen. i assume they'll send me home anyway, lol.

You won't be charged leave if all the days are accounted for as travel.

Are you TDY at Ft. Bliss enroute to your original duty station? If so, AR600-8-10 para 7-7 may apply. Maybe they think you will want to take a detour on leave to visit your family prior to, or immediately after Ft. Bliss. You won't be at the mercy of your original unit for leave approval.

Para's 5-37 and 5-38 for Proceed Time don't really apply but might be why they are trying to complete a DA31.

http://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/r600_8_10.pdf

So...if they want you approved for leave so that in the event you choose to take longer than allowable proceed time, that's not a bad idea. I even think they might have this policy to protect young soldiers from themselves when they show up a day late. We did something similar. That way it was approved up front and you didn't have to scramble to figure out who could approve leave once they were in transit.

But over time that potentially good idea probably morphed into something stupid.

Makes no sense. I deployed in 2014 and went through CRC. The travel to and from CRC was covered in my deployment orders. No DA31 needed. Now there was a problem with my original deployment orders so the military travel agency could not buy a plane ticket home for me until it was amended. That meant one additional day in beautiful El Paso. Anyways, talk to your S1 and company commander. It should be covered in your deployment orders which includes TDY to and from Ft Bliss.

It is a normal thing, there is a block that says non-charged leave. This is so they have a record of you traveling and they can pay you for it. You do the same thing when you PCS. If you get 6 days of travel you add that to your PCS leave but it is non-chargeable so you can be paid for it when you do your voucher.

It is a normal thing, there is a block that says non-charged leave. This is so they have a record of you traveling and they can pay you for it. You do the same thing when you PCS. If you get 6 days of travel you add that to your PCS leave but it is non-chargeable so you can be paid for it when you do your voucher.

that's the thing-- to be a "normal" thing no previous PROFIS doc I've communicated with has had to do it before. we travel on a government plane, there's no sign in/sign out like on PCS where there's a chunk of time we aren't "on duty." we also didn't have a leave form to get here. now they are saying they don't think they need it. this likely is a leftover policy from people leaving theater early for elective reasons-- births of children, graduations, PCS, schools, etc. travel back after completing a deployment should be part and parcel to the process of deploying.

the latest debate now is whether we have to take our M9's back. we were told at CRC we would do a lateral transfer to our PROFIS units and they'd keep them. now the units want us to take them back to CRC with us. I'm fine with that, as long as CRC doesn't flip **** when we show up with weapons, lol.

--your friendly neighborhood everything has to be complicated caveman

that's the thing-- to be a "normal" thing no previous PROFIS doc I've communicated with has had to do it before. we travel on a government plane, there's no sign in/sign out like on PCS where there's a chunk of time we aren't "on duty." we also didn't have a leave form to get here. now they are saying they don't think they need it. this likely is a leftover policy from people leaving theater early for elective reasons-- births of children, graduations, PCS, schools, etc. travel back after completing a deployment should be part and parcel to the process of deploying.

the lastest debate now is whether we have to take our M9's back. we were told at CRC we would do a lateral transfer to our PROFIS units and they'd keep them. now they're wanting us to take them back with us. I'm fine with that, as long as CRC doesn't flip **** when we show up with our M9's.

--your friendly neighborhood everything has to be complicated caveman

Ha, sounds like a mess. I worked in S-3 at Madigan Hospital for a couple years. Worked with PROFIS doctors all the time so when I say "normal thing" it was a normal policy for our us. We never charged anyone leave, it was more just a precaution to show you had some type of travel orders/documents. M9s is out of my wheelhouse, will stay out of that one!