Program accommodations for same-sex spouses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmallBird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was a big issue for me when interviewing last year, and I was wondering if others could share their experiences of what their programs, or programs they know are offering in terms of benefits for same-sex spouses? Personally, I have been really impressed by how accommodating my program has been, extending full health insurance and institutional affiliation benefits to my partner, despite the fact that we got married in a foreign country, with only a foreign marriage license. Can anyone report a similarly positive, or for that matter, contrasting experience?

Members don't see this ad.

This was a big issue for me when interviewing last year, and I was wondering if others could share their experiences of what their programs, or programs they know are offering in terms of benefits for same-sex spouses? Personally, I have been really impressed by how accommodating my program has been, extending full health insurance and institutional affiliation benefits to my partner, despite the fact that we got married in a foreign country, with only a foreign marriage license. Can anyone report a similarly positive, or for that matter, contrasting experience?

Isn't this a state issue? How could a program refuse to provide benefits if the policies of the state and hospital require it? Or the converse, how could a program provide benefits if the state/hospital does not? A program director doesn't have that kind of budget.

I remember some program mentioning that during interview season and I thought it was very cool and progressive of them, but I can't recall where it was...

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't this a state issue? How could a program refuse to provide benefits if the policies of the state and hospital require it? Or the converse, how could a program provide benefits if the state/hospital does not? A program director doesn't have that kind of budget.

I don't know if it follows state law that specifically - I may be incorrect and am hoping to draw input. I do agree that the program will go along with the policies of the hospital, and I guess the question is what peoples experiences have been at different institutions.

yes this appears to come down to location. I was very shocked to discover that in most states it is not illegal to ask about sexual orientation in an employment interview and not illegal not to appoint someone because of their sexual orientation. whether insurance will cover same-sex partners is based on the legal basis of same-sex marriage/partnerships in a particular state. you are fortunate to be in connecticut in this regard (if not in any other!), there are many states where this (currently) would not happen... hopefully this will change in the future.

I know that even though same sex marriage is not legally recognized in MN, a good number of the hospitals and associated residency programs provide benefits, etc., to same sex domestic partners. I know at my current institution there are some caveats and I don't totally understand/can't remember how it works but it has something to do with the govt. not recognizing same sex marriages. I think there's something about same sex partners who get benefits from a spouse getting hit with a higher tax burden because the govt. doesn't recognize it as a marriage. So it's tricky if the state doesn't recognize it even though the hospital wants to provide it.

I haven't had to deal with seeing how this plays out in reality, but it's been discussed quite a bit lately because of the proposed marriage amendment to our constitution. Most of the big medical facilities here seem to want to give identical benefits to all partners.

We have benefits for domestic partners here.

In what state are you, Doctor Bagel? It would seem, then, to not be totally related to state...

Regarding the tax issue - thats even true in Connecticut for health insurance. Doesn't add up to a lot, but is a small annoyance I guess.

I know that even though same sex marriage is not legally recognized in MN, a good number of the hospitals and associated residency programs provide benefits, etc., to same sex domestic partners. I know at my current institution there are some caveats and I don't totally understand/can't remember how it works but it has something to do with the govt. not recognizing same sex marriages. I think there's something about same sex partners who get benefits from a spouse getting hit with a higher tax burden because the govt. doesn't recognize it as a marriage. So it's tricky if the state doesn't recognize it even though the hospital wants to provide it.

I haven't had to deal with seeing how this plays out in reality, but it's been discussed quite a bit lately because of the proposed marriage amendment to our constitution. Most of the big medical facilities here seem to want to give identical benefits to all partners.

Regarding the caveats, as I recall from reading about it in the past, the big thing is that you can't use federal pretax money to pay for benefits from a domestic partner because the federal government doesn't recognize domestic partnership. So if you have to pay in part for your health insurance, that could cost you more money. If you're at a program that pays 100% of the fees for your insurance, then it's not an issue. Do those programs exist? That would be nice.

Come to California. If you register with your same sex partner as domestic partners, you are entitled to the same rights as married couples, including access to health insurance and the like. Keep in mind you are also obligated to the same responsibilities as married couples (e.g.: you can not file Single on your state tax return anymore). California also recognizes foreign (nationally or internationally) civil unions or marriages.