Program Director Meet and Greet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SgtThunderfistMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you take to a PD Meet and Greet as an M4? A full resume is probably too much (will be thrown away), a printout of your ERAS is also too much (they already have all that info on their computer), a legitimate business card is crazy for a medical student.....but how about if I just print out on a business card stock paper my name, contact info, and ERAS #? Small enough that they can take it, has my application # on it, so they can review my application on ERAS themselves when they get a chance. The only other option is bring nothing, but then they can easily forget you/your name.

Members don't see this ad.

When I did my away rotations I brought my CV and both PDs looked it over. The first PD seemed happy to read it and said she would be glad to hold on to it, the second seemed a little caught off guard about it but he also read it and gave good feedback. Other than that I would just make sure you have some questions to ask.

When I did my away rotations I brought my CV and both PDs looked it over. The first PD seemed happy to read it and said she would be glad to hold on to it, the second seemed a little caught off guard about it but he also read it and gave good feedback. Other than that I would just make sure you have some questions to ask.
Thanks for your input! Away rotations are way different than what I am describing though--a large conference room with 100 PD's, 200 applicants, and 3 minutes to talk to each one before getting pushed aside by another applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly this sounds like an awful idea. Whose idea was this?

Reactions: 4 users
what is the point. is 3 minutes of meeting with the PD going to do anything for you? you'll just be another in a sea of faces

Reactions: 1 users
what is the point. is 3 minutes of meeting with the PD going to do anything for you? you'll just be another in a sea of faces
This specific meeting is 8 hours long, with workshops interacting with faculty, Q&A, and then the meet-and-greet. There are only 25-30 attendees, many of which aren't even M4's. Love how the medical student can comment on whether or not there "is a point" without knowing any details. Everyone at my school who went last year got at least 2 interviews set up on the spot.

Reactions: 1 user
What sounds like an awful idea? Almost every specialty organization has PD Meet and Greets at their national meeting.
That doesn't mean they're in any way productive or worth anyone's time (they're not).

large conference room with 100 PD's, 200 applicants, and 3 minutes to talk

There are only 25-30 attendees, many of which aren't even M4's.
One of these things is not like the other...

Reactions: 6 users
That doesn't mean they're in any way productive or worth anyone's time (they're not).

One of these things is not like the other...

Upon the next telling of it, it will be a one on one candlelit dinner with the PD.

Reactions: 5 users
This specific meeting is 8 hours long, with workshops interacting with faculty, Q&A, and then the meet-and-greet. There are only 25-30 attendees, many of which aren't even M4's. Love how the medical student can comment on whether or not there "is a point" without knowing any details. Everyone at my school who went last year got at least 2 interviews set up on the spot.

Lol the med student. Pulling rank, cute. I don't think an attending would know any more if it's useful or not.

How does the fact that they got interviews on the spot change anything? So they had the required step 1 score and were from the applicable geographic region . They would have gotten the interview regardless of if they were at the dinner or not.

Do you actually think any pd is going to significantly change who they hire based on who goes to a dinner? You must think so little of them

Maybe you can offer a below-the-table handjob or risque foot rub alongside the medial aspect of their femoral region to pique some interest in you.

#AnatomicalTermsAreTheBidness

What would you take to a PD Meet and Greet as an M4? A full resume is probably too much (will be thrown away), a printout of your ERAS is also too much (they already have all that info on their computer), a legitimate business card is crazy for a medical student.....but how about if I just print out on a business card stock paper my name, contact info, and ERAS #? Small enough that they can take it, has my application # on it, so they can review my application on ERAS themselves when they get a chance. The only other option is bring nothing, but then they can easily forget you/your name.

I brought my personal statement to something like this.

If I were in your shoes, I would bring a CV, a shortened version of your CV that is only one page (basically a resume), and a copy of your personal statement.

Business cards may be kind of funny IMO. What would you put on them, medical student?

Better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

Ignore the naysayers! Best of luck to you!

If I were in your shoes, I would bring a CV, a shortened version of your CV that is only one page (basically a resume), and a copy of your personal statement.

Business cards may be kind of funny IMO. What would you put on them, medical student?

Better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

Ignore the naysayers! Best of luck to you!

Psai
MD candidate 2017
University of California Irvine School of Medicine
(800)855-1337

Psai
MD candidate 2017
University of California Irvine School of Medicine
(800)855-1337

hehe
9f805985b60dc642e40476e4584cfcaa.jpg

Reactions: 1 users