Program Directors Needed For New EM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
TeamHealth has an exciting opportunity for a full-time, experienced, academic emergency medicine physician to lead our team as emergency medicine residency program director at Mission Health Hospital located in Asheville, North Carolina. The ideal candidate will oversee the development, application and the maintenance of certification of the program in compliance with Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) requirements and the policies and procedures of the sponsoring institution. The residency program will start July of 2023.

Emergency Medicine Residency Program Director
Leading Healthcare System Is Seeking an Experienced Emergency Medicine Residency Program Director to Build New EM Residency Program
Location Des Moines, IA 50309
Income Potential:Call for Details
Signing Bonus:Yes
Loan Forgiveness:No
Job Number:136366
Posted Date:10/27/2021

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I've been getting emails about that Asheville gig for what feels like 2-3 years now.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been getting emails about that Asheville gig for what feels like 2-3 years now.
Have you thought about taking it purely to tank the program?

Seems one way to help with the oversupply issue: take over the programs and don't let them fill.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, good way to throw your profession under the bus while maintaining your own job security….

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
TeamHealth has an exciting opportunity for a full-time, experienced, academic emergency medicine physician to lead our team as emergency medicine residency program director at Mission Health Hospital located in Asheville, North Carolina. The ideal candidate will oversee the development, application and the maintenance of certification of the program in compliance with Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) requirements and the policies and procedures of the sponsoring institution. The residency program will start July of 2023.

Emergency Medicine Residency Program Director
Leading Healthcare System Is Seeking an Experienced Emergency Medicine Residency Program Director to Build New EM Residency Program
Location Des Moines, IA 50309
Income Potential:Call for Details
Signing Bonus:Yes
Loan Forgiveness:No
Job Number:136366
Posted Date:10/27/2021

Nobody here wants this awful job. Go away.

AAEM/RSA supports the multi-organizational effort being organized and suggests four key interventions be taken in order to adequately address the security of our specialty and safety of our patients.

1. We must purge our specialty societies from the influence and funding from corporate entities. This conflict of interest has prevailed in our largest organizations and prevented the adequate advocacy and security to acknowledge the issues we are now facing, as they evolved. False narratives have led to delays in combating both the over-expansion of EM residency programs by CMGs and corporate hospital groups, and the expanding scope of practice of midlevel providers.
  2. We must have a moratorium on new EM residency training programs and address the ACGME’s longtime inaction in prohibiting corporate entities from opening and funding EM residency training programs. AAEM/RSA believes that the ACGME has been complacent in allowing the significant oversupply of EM physicians. The substandard training requirements have and continue to be exploited by corporate entities to produce programs of questionable quality. The commandeering of medical training for cheap labor and to influence supply and demand economics by these profit driven corporations has been a significant factor in resident oversupply. We must demand the ACGME not only make requirements more stringent for future programs, but hold a moratorium on all new residency program applications until these issues are addressed.

Reactions: 5 users
But it’s an “exciting opportunity” 🙄
It’s really too bad because if this wasn’t HCA and there wasn’t a 10,000 EM doc oversupply then Mission in Asheville would be a cool place for a residency. Big hospital, in the mountains, fun town to live in. Bummer.

It’s really too bad because if this wasn’t HCA and there wasn’t a 10,000 EM doc oversupply then Mission in Asheville would be a cool place for a residency. Big hospital, in the mountains, fun town to live in. Bummer.
I love asheville. Was there earlier this month. But the saying “if my aunt had a penis she would be my uncle”.

Unless the salaries have changed, the pay there was atrocious. I applied fresh out of residency to the Mission hospital system (if recollection serves) and FMD called me up, nice guy, and stops me mid sentence while I'm selling myself and goes "Listen dude...before either of us wastes too much time, I've got a stack of applications for this job up to my elbows. Here's what it pays...." I think it was around $160 or $165/hr or something like that. I went 'Man...that's really low. I mean....I've got loans to pay off. Why is the pay so low there?' and he goes "Dude....it's Asheville freaking North Carolina. Everybody and their grandmother wants to move here." Nuff said. That was the last time I applied for a job in Asheville, NC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Unless the salaries have changed, the pay there was atrocious. I applied fresh out of residency to the Mission hospital system (if recollection serves) and FMD called me up, nice guy, and stops me mid sentence while I'm selling myself and goes "Listen dude...before either of us wastes too much time, I've got a stack of applications for this job up to my elbows. Here's what is pays...." I think it was around $160 or $165/hr or something like that. I went 'Man...that's really low. I mean....I've got loans to pay off. Why is the pay so low there?' and he goes "Dude....it's Asheville freaking North Carolina. Everybody and their grandmother wants to move here." Nuff said. That was the last time I applied for a job in Asheville, NC.

That's laughably low.
Asheville is the new Denver.
Side gigs make more hourly than that.

Urgent Care gigs make 120-125 hourly with no acuity, nightshifts, or other related nonsense.

Reactions: 3 users
That's laughably low.

Urgent Care gigs make 120-125 hourly with no acuity, nightshifts, or other related nonsense.

Yeah, it was really weird. All the other gigs in NC paid much better but Asheville was like it's own microcosm or something. Now, given...it's been about 10 years now since that phone call so I'm sure things could have changed. I can't even remember whether it was a CMG or SDG. I want to say I got the interview by cold calling the ED and getting FMDs contact info from one of the pit docs and forwarding my CV. I can still remember taking the phone call walking through the hospital during my PGY4 year trying to find a quiet corner where I could hear the dude speak.

Unless the salaries have changed, the pay there was atrocious. I applied fresh out of residency to the Mission hospital system (if recollection serves) and FMD called me up, nice guy, and stops me mid sentence while I'm selling myself and goes "Listen dude...before either of us wastes too much time, I've got a stack of applications for this job up to my elbows. Here's what is pays...." I think it was around $160 or $165/hr or something like that. I went 'Man...that's really low. I mean....I've got loans to pay off. Why is the pay so low there?' and he goes "Dude....it's Asheville freaking North Carolina. Everybody and their grandmother wants to move here." Nuff said. That was the last time I applied for a job in Asheville, NC.
What was the group structure before? I think TH took over a few years ago when HCA bought the hospital. A few months ago they were advertising on facebook for 226/hr (assuming 1099). Assuming they farm you out to outlying hospitals for less money as well.

Agreed that Asheville is awesome. But, I would stay far away from this residency program if I was an applicant. New HCA program, plus the fact that the hospital has been experiencing a fair amount of turnover...Two years after sale to HCA, care and cost concerns raised with Mission Hospital

Now, if I was a corporate residency symp looking for a sweet gig, sign me up baby!

What was the group structure before? I think TH took over a few years ago when HCA bought the hospital. A few months ago they were advertising on facebook for 226/hr (assuming 1099). Assuming they farm you out to outlying hospitals for less money as well.

Agreed that Asheville is awesome. But, I would stay far away from this residency program if I was an applicant. New HCA program, plus the fact that the hospital has been experiencing a fair amount of turnover...Two years after sale to HCA, care and cost concerns raised with Mission Hospital

Now, if I was a corporate residency symp looking for a sweet gig, sign me up baby!

Man, I can't remember. See my above follow up post. I'm not even sure it was the same hospital. I want to say I thought it was an SDG that staffed multiple Mission hospitals at the time but they might have been hospital employees for all I know. I didn't have the wherewithal at the time as a fresh grad to pay attention to the important details other than the pay. I do remember him telling me that I would be required to work at some of their hospitals outside Asheville but would also have shifts at their main hospital(s). I've never even been to Asheville so I know nothing about the city. What led me to seeking out Asheville was kind of a strange series of events but I was in the middle of a divorce at the time and was in a non "no fault" state and my ex and her lawyers were refusing to cooperate and demanding all types of money that I didn't have as a resident at the time. I think they wanted my entire sign on out of residency along with $250K or something egregious for an incredibly short marriage with no kids. So, I got creative and was trying to find a no fault state that I wouldn't mind working in for 6 months to get residency so I could file again and force it through from another state and I ran across Asheville. I actually ended up interviewing and informally agreeing to a CMG job in Charlotte but once my ex's lawyer heard I was heading to a no fault state, they came to the table for a "not so egregious but still painful" amount. The Charlotte job I actually flew out to and remember it was a pretty cool city.

Last edited:
Man, I can't remember. See my above follow up post. I'm not even sure it was the same hospital. I want to say I thought it was an SDG that staffed multiple Mission hospitals at the time but they might have been hospital employees for all I know. I didn't have the wherewithal at the time as a fresh grad to pay attention to the important details other than the pay. I do remember him telling me that I would be required to work at some of their hospitals outside Asheville but would also have shifts at their main hospital(s). I've never even been to Asheville so I know nothing about the city. What led me to seeking out Asheville was kind of a strange series of events but I was in the middle of a divorce at the time and was in a non "no fault" state and my ex and her lawyers were refusing to cooperate and demanding all types of money that I didn't have as a resident at the time. I think they wanted my entire sign on out of residency along with $250K or something egregious for an incredibly short marriage with no kids. So, I got creative and was trying to find a no fault state that I wouldn't mind working in for 6 months to get residency so I could file again and force it through from another state and I ran across Asheville. I actually ended up interviewing and informally agreeing to a CMG job in Charlotte but once my ex's lawyer heard I was heading to a no fault state, they came to the table for a "not so egregious but still painful" amount. The Charlotte job I actually flew out to and remember it was a pretty cool city.
Dude, if you have any interest in beer, food or hiking definitely check it out for a weekend. I interviewed in Charlotte for residency and it struck me as a pretty generic mid-to-large american city. Damn, a bad divorce can really F your life up. Lucky that I'm in a pretty good relationship.

That's laughably low.

Heck I even saw an urgent care offer for $180/hr, with regular hours…

Unless the salaries have changed, the pay there was atrocious. I applied fresh out of residency to the Mission hospital system (if recollection serves) and FMD called me up, nice guy, and stops me mid sentence while I'm selling myself and goes "Listen dude...before either of us wastes too much time, I've got a stack of applications for this job up to my elbows. Here's what it pays...." I think it was around $160 or $165/hr or something like that. I went 'Man...that's really low. I mean....I've got loans to pay off. Why is the pay so low there?' and he goes "Dude....it's Asheville freaking North Carolina. Everybody and their grandmother wants to move here." Nuff said. That was the last time I applied for a job in Asheville, NC.
And this and Denver are proof that it doesn’t matter what insurance pays. It’s all supply / demand. And the supply is gonna be 10k too many widgets pretty soon.