Program Directors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as20gp

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What if you liked/loved everything about a program except the program director?? This lady just did not seem nice/personable/approachable and I wonder how that will play out with her being my "boss" for the next 4 years...does it really matter what I think of her or do I just throw it out the window for a seemingly great program?

Members don't see this ad.

What if you liked/loved everything about a program except the program director?? This lady just did not seem nice/personable/approachable and I wonder how that will play out with her being my "boss" for the next 4 years...does it really matter what I think of her or do I just throw it out the window for a seemingly great program?

Maybe try asking the residents what the work environment is like and if they feel they're treated well by faculty/staff/the PD/etc. I've seen it asked before so as long as you don't say something like, "Your PD seems kinda crappy, how's that going?" I would guess you'd be fine.

Hard to say.

Best thing is to ask current residents via email or whatever how they get along with their PD etc. If they are approachable and how they handle feedback to the program etc.

We tell applicants that our program director is approachable.

Also, some people just have weird personalities and it reflects poorly in a one time interaction such as during an interview (the program director). But there is a possiblity that they are much more approachable to residents and will go to bat for them. Or they could be a huge a**hole.