Program lost accreditation - what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l2osco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a resident at a program that has lost it's accreditation, and I was wondering what the protocol is for us residents should the program not regain its accreditation. Specifically, I was wondering:

1) How tough is it for residents to switch programs from the original program to a new one?

2) Does the program that I would transfer into have to have an open spot, or could the program temporarily increase its spots to accommodate me seeing that it's not my fault that my current program went under?

3) Would I have to obtain funding from my current hospital to work at the new hospital?

4) Where would I find a list of programs that have open spots?

Thanks for all of your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what the protocol is for us residents should the program not regain its accreditation

I don't think anyone would recommend sticking around to see if that happens. Best to move on. Try to re-establish connections with other programs you may have rotated/done research at to find out whether they may be in the process of expanding, People drop out of programs and spots do get added quite often and quite frankly, you will be in the best position to find that out before it hits a forum like this.

So I'm a resident at a program that has lost it's accreditation, and I was wondering what the protocol is for us residents should the program not regain its accreditation. Specifically, I was wondering:

1) How tough is it for residents to switch programs from the original program to a new one?

2) Does the program that I would transfer into have to have an open spot, or could the program temporarily increase its spots to accommodate me seeing that it's not my fault that my current program went under?

3) Would I have to obtain funding from my current hospital to work at the new hospital?

4) Where would I find a list of programs that have open spots?

Thanks for all of your help.

I am not in Rad onc, but when rads programs have closed in the past, it has been typical for the ACGME to pretty much allow programs to do whatever they have to in order to accomodate displaced residents so typically programs are more flexible in taking new residents and they typically are allowed to take new residents. Also it is my understanding that your funding comes with you, so it's kind of extra $$ for free technically that hte hospital gets since they don't have to pay you. There is apparently one open spot currently on ResidentSwap.