Program ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knifey wifey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the plastic surgery game, with regards to integrated programs what do you consider a low, middle, and top tier residency program? I read that there are only about 40 in the country? Wow. There must be some gradation. What have you seen on interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Knifey wifey said:
I am new to the plastic surgery game, with regards to integrated programs what do you consider a low, middle, and top tier residency program? I read that there are only about 40 in the country? Wow. There must be some gradation. What have you seen on interviews?

There must be SOME thoughts from people that have interviewed.

Knifey wifey said:
There must be SOME thoughts from people that have interviewed.

Well what is it that you really want to know? Do you want us to criticize other programs, or subjectively label one program "low tier" and another "high tier" based on what we saw on an interview? We'd all be lucky to get any spot given how competitive this process is and how many talented applicants there are, and no one wants to hear that the program they matched at is considered "low tier" by a bunch of anxious med students gossiping on an internet forum. Maybe if you could focus your question you would get more feedback (e.g. which program is the best if I want to do a lot of hand surgery or research? which places would be best if I want a career in academics? Which place had the happiest residents? etc)

Since you're new to the plastic surgery game, I would advise you this: wait until AFTER you've been invited to an interview and seen the program yourself before worrying about which ones are "better" than the others. If any of us listed 15 "top tier" programs, it wouldn't be very useful for you if you don't get invited to any of them to interview. Similarly, if we listed 15 "low tier" programs, you would feel like crap if the only invitations you received were from those places. People on these boards like to criticize various programs for many reasons, and you don't know if they're bitter because they weren't invited for an interview or if they're a resident at another program looking to tarnish the reputation of their competition. It's not uncommon for residents to post rave reviews of their program incognito to bolster their reputation (and their ego).

Sorry for the long-winded response to your question, but perhaps it explains the silence you've encountered after your original post.