Program Reputation Importance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted709825

In gastroenterology, how important is program reputation for job opportunities in private practice?

For example, are some groups / hospitals less likely to hire those who trained at a community-university hybrid program?

Members don't see this ad.

For pvt practice, in general, not important. Most community progs will probably train you much better for the real/ clinical world than many top-tier programs- they tell you so at the interview, for Gen GI that is. Some groups may value prestige, but thats usually to fill a niche.

Reactions: 1 users
In gastroenterology, how important is program reputation for job opportunities in private practice?

For example, are some groups / hospitals less likely to hire those who trained at a community-university hybrid program?

for private practice, this rarely matters. And the training IS better at these hybrid or community programs. That’s one of the better kept secrets
Which hybrid program are you looking at? PM me

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
it's probably not as important for academics as well... many senior faculty were trained in lesser known places...besides most "academic practices" are glorified private practices with lesser pay in which u slave for a corporate behemoth disguised as a university hospital instead of making money for yourself...i doubt such jobs are actually competitive...there are very few top academic programs in which >50% of faculty is engaged in research ...

Reactions: 2 users
The biggest factor for getting a job is training close by enough that the group knows the program’s “product.”

Reactions: 3 users
i was perusing through some of the "more prestigious" private practices like Borland Grover clinic and some of the more lucrative ones in Northwest...most practices seem to hire people close to there geographic locations...all of them had people from programs I did not know much about....a handful of "non elite/less prestigious" programs that seemed to appear everywhere were university of rochester , William Beaumont , SUNY Downstate , UCSF fresno ,Geisenger and several others... A lot of these places are ultra-high volume (Beaumont for instance does 25k procedures/year in there endo suite, fresno and downstate have a very high number as well , geisenger does a ridiculous number of EUS/ERCPs) and have the ability to train general gi fellows in advance procedures meaningfully ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As stated above, the better the group knows your training the better the deal is in the end.
For Academics is different, everyone is unique and can bring something novel to the program.
Private Practice depends on multiple productivities and shareholder factors.

Reactions: 1 user