Program to avoid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retinadoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Loyola

Members don't see this ad.

Your advice would have been more helpful about 3 weeks ago, no? Now (3 days post-match), it's just mean, for whoever matched there.

Idiopathic said:
Your advice would have been more helpful about 3 weeks ago, no? Now (3 days post-match), it's just mean, for whoever matched there.

My advice wasn't meant to be mean. I did not know of this forum until today. It is meant to help 3rd years considering NS now.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Loyola in Chicago is a horrible program. They have fired 3 residents in the last 6 years and 2 more left willingly. This is the definition of malignant."

This a factoid often attributed to U Chicago, but to correct you, U Chicago has had two residents dismissed over the past few years for what most understand are appropriate reasons. Furthermore, U Chicago is a good program with an excellent chair, perhaps tough, but what NS program isnt? All of the last 9 Loyola NS residents matched at Loyola and are still there. You are unwise, retinadoc (are you ophtho or something?), to be advising future applicants not to apply there.

I call it like I see it ecpiii. In no other specialty in medicine do you have to routinely worry about losing your job.

retinadoc said:
I call it like I see it ecpiii. In no other specialty in medicine do you have to routinely worry about losing your job.

Retinadoc, what did those people get fired for? And what about the people who decided to leave? Firing people doesn't make the program bad if they were fired for good reasons. Also, saying the chairman is unstable is very, very subjective. What is unstable about him? I'm unconvinced that Loyola has a horrible program.

Dear Stranger,

You don't have to take my advice. Go do a residency there and find out for yourself. Good luck to you in whatever choice that you make.