Programming a study aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paramagnetic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently graduated and am currently working full time.

I'm interested in using some of my 'hobbyist-level' programming abilities to develop simple software as a personal study aid. I believe this will help me learn the core material better than reading-and-notetaking by itself. It would be similar to Anki, but the final product would be more dynamic and pre-filled with content (i.e., 'teaching' and not 'memory/recall' based learning).

I haven't begun studying for the exam yet, so I don't know the best way to go about this.

Any advise for implementing this?
What would you look for in this kind of study aid?

EDIT: Added a sample program I threw together.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm interested in using some of my 'hobbyist-level' programming abilities to develop simple software as a personal study aid. I believe this will help me learn the core material better than reading-and-notetaking by itself. It would be similar to Anki, but the final product would be more dynamic and pre-filled with content (i.e., 'teaching' and not 'memory/recall' based learning).

I haven't begun studying for the exam yet, so I don't know the best way to go about this.

Personally this doesn't seem worth it. The method I found that worked the best for me is recall/regurgitation for all the concepts in my dedicated review. The reason being is what I feel are the most important things for the subjects are things that must be memorized.

C/P: Physics formulas, acid/base, SN1/2, NMR/IR, amino acids, pH, stoichiometry, etc
CARS: Golden Rule
B/B: amino acids, metab cycles, physiology
P/S: Terms and definitions, developmental milestones

As you can see, most of these are pure memorization. You could argue for a process-based teaching style for chemistry, metab, and physiology, but for P/S, physics, and amino acids, it's just rote memorization. Amino acids are done in a day or two, with weekly reinforcement as needed. Same with formulas.

Let me be clear, I HATE rote memory work, and I HATE book learning. But it's simply the best way to prepare for a majority of the material on the exam. Everything else is pretty much practice, practice, practice the discretes and passages over and over. That's why there's such an emphasis on doing practice passages and FLs once your concept foundation is prepared.

@Zenabi90 , this preliminary version of the program assists with rote memorization of facts and concepts. Its currently based on the 2015 Kaplan set of 7 books. The user adds a concept and associated question/answer while going through the text - and later reviews either pure content (by pulling all 'concepts') or the Q/A they added during their study session.

mcat program.png

Let me know if anybody feels that this alternative strategy is any good :)

It looks very interesting, but what advantage does it have over Anki? I don't know if I'm slow right now or what, but considering Anki has tags, decks, subdecks, multiple card types, and adjustable review patterns, what does your program aim to offer over Anki or Memorang?

Maybe a bit more detail would help me understand.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks very interesting, but what advantage does it have over Anki? I don't know if I'm slow right now or what, but considering Anki has tags, decks, subdecks, multiple card types, and adjustable review patterns, what does your program aim to offer over Anki or Memorang?

Maybe a bit more detail would help me understand.

I haven't used Anki for a while (and never touched memorang), so it could currently be similar in nature to both of those. I'm looking for input on how an all-in-one (bar practice test) MCAT study program could be developed in a way superior to those that already exist.

It could be that the programs you mentioned are already good-enough (and therefor the program would be for my use only). But if anybody has an exceptional study-strategies that could be programmed, I'm interested in making it.

Ok.

For what it's worth then...

Cycles:
-Choose a cycle, program outputs random substrate or enzyme, user is required to list prior and post, along with outputs generated like ATP, NADP, etc
-Ex. Krebs cycle: Program outputs Aconitase. Pre is citrate, post is isocitrate. Program outputs succinate dehydrogenase, pre is succinate, post is fumarate, outputs generated is FADH2. Program outputs Malate. Pre is fumerase, post is malate dehydrogenase.
-This is how I studied cycles after I had learned to draw them via muscle memory. I made little cards with the substrates and enzymes, mixed em up, then quizzed pre and post with each card.

Amino Acids
-Program outputs amino acid by either 1) full name (leucine), 2) 3Letter (LEU), 3) 1Letter (L) or 4)R-chain (-CH2CH(CH3)2)
-User is required to list the 3 above not provided by the program, relevant pI (or none), polar/nonpolar, if it is an essential amino acid (yes/no), and special properties (glycine and proline cause kinks, histidine etc)
-Personally I studied these by making a blank table and just pumping them out every day for 2 weeks, every other day for the next 2 weeks, twice a week for the next two weeks, and once a week until the MCAT

Physics formulas
-Program describes variables provided, and parameter required. User inputs formula, along with units
-Ex. Given acceleration, starting velocity, and time, how to determine displacement? User inputs d = vi*t + 0.5at^2. Program displays correct answer, then asks "what is resulting units?". User inputs meters.
-This is how I studied my physics formulas.

Don't know if it will help, but that's how I memorized these particular concepts. Your program certainly sounds interesting, but may be intimidating to the generic apple user due to lack of a graphical UI, and most of the up and coming generation have never seen a command prompt window or how to execute a simple ping command or ipconfig to determine their MAC address (which is not the location of their apple laptop, yes I've heard that before).

Reactions: 1 user
Love it! Thanks for the ideas.

PS: If I were to make a full program and distribute it to the good folks of SDN, I'd make it a little easier on the eyes.

Hi all,

EDIT: Added a sample program I threw together.

Anki can be used to help teach yourself the concepts you need to know. I’m not an Anki expert but you can use certain features like cloze deletion and frame your questions in a way that you are quizzing yourself. That’s why Anki is used as a resource for actively learning a lot of concepts over the long-term.

I think creating a program for MCAT study is pretty cool but it’s probably not the best use of your time if you haven’t studied for the exam yet. It’s better to use the resources already available and make the best use of them for optimal results.