programs commutable from detroit, mi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsforme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying in the couple's match and my fiance got an interview at Wayne State. Along with my Wayne State interview, I also have William Beaumont and University of Michigan interviews scheduled. Is Ann Arbor too far for me if my fiance is in Detroit? If not, where would be a good middle point to live?

Members don't see this ad.

pedsforme said:
I am applying in the couple's match and my fiance got an interview at Wayne State. Along with my Wayne State interview, I also have William Beaumont and University of Michigan interviews scheduled. Is Ann Arbor too far for me if my fiance is in Detroit? If not, where would be a good middle point to live?

Any combination of the above can work out. Beumont and Wayne State are only about 10 miles from each other (if that). UMich is 40 miles from beaumont and wayne. I know a few people that work at Wayne but live in ann arbor.

A good middle point between ann arbor and wayne/beaumont would be Novi, farmington hills, livonia. that would be about a 20 min drive to ann arbor and a about the same to detroit or beaumont.

Don't consider living in detroit; it is a cesspool of humanity. The place should be destroyed and rebuild anew. You would be raped and killed within seconds of moving there. Working at the detroit hospitals is OK as the security is tight enough.

How do you really feel, Ligament? :laugh:

Honestly, Detroit isn't that bad. I've lived there for 3-ish years while in med school at Wayne. Some of the newer condos on East Jefferson (Riverview/Rivertown), downtown near CoPa/Ford Field, Corktown (sweet lofts) and Wayne State's campus are very nice.

However, you +will+ pay more tax (nice 3% city tax for living w/in Detroit), pay more for services that aren't the best (trash, street cleaning, etc.), have to send your kids to private school if you have/are planning a family, and pay more for car and home insurance (benefits of living in the 313!)

Royal Oak is one of the fresh outta college suburbs, is doable to Ann Arbor every day (I have a similar commute). Much closer places splitting the difference would be Livonia, Plymouth (my future home), Northville, Dearborn, Canton, and Belleville

pedsforme said:
Is Ann Arbor too far for me if my fiance is in Detroit? If not, where would be a good middle point to live?

My sister is doing her residency in Detroit (Henry Ford) and her husband is in Ann Arbor for residency. They live in Plymouth which is halfway between the two cities & is a ~30 minute commute for both in opposite directions. Its a cute little suburb - they live in a beautiful condo. Very doable.

I would also vote against living in Detroit.

scootad. said:
My sister is doing her residency in Detroit (Henry Ford) and her husband is in Ann Arbor for residency. They live in Plymouth which is halfway between the two cities & is a ~30 minute commute for both in opposite directions. Its a cute little suburb - they live in a beautiful condo. Very doable.

I would also vote against living in Detroit.

Ypsilanti is cool, too.

Northville is very nice, about 30 mins to Detroit and 20 mins to Ann Arbor. It's a very nice place, especially if you have kids.

pedsforme said:

I'm currently a med student at wayne and my gf is finishing up her undergrad at UM. We live halfway in the middle in Belleville (slightly closer to ann arbor by like 5 mins, but better than living at the halfway point in romulus). We did our research before moving here and found Belleville to have the small town feel with all the city amentities (a million restaurants, theaters, and a meijer 3 mins away). It's about 20-30 mins to detroit depending on traffic and lke 15-25 mins to ann arbor (down I94). You could also live on I96, but everyone I talked to here who was native to the area said I94 was a better highway. I'm happy with where we picked- the crime is low, the rent isn't bad, and we're on a lake. If you have any other quesitons, send me a PM. Good Luck.