programs don't interview for prelim spots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abyz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've read on multiple SDN threads that some surgery programs do not interview for prelim spots. How widespread is this practice? Also I am wondering if anyone knows why a program would elect to not interview candidates for prelim (are interviews that expensive)? I guess it does explain why for example Montefiore in Bronx matched 0 of 20 prelim spots last year as per nrmp data...

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I was under the impression that if I just apply to prelim in a program, I would have better chances of getting an interview. If you are an average applicant, should you apply to both categorical and prelim?

Hi!
I was under the impression that if I just apply to prelim in a program, I would have better chances of getting an interview. If you are an average applicant, should you apply to both categorical and prelim?
It doesn't seem to make much sense to only apply to Prelims if you are interested in Categorical; if you are a candidate for interview, they can decide what position to offer you if they decide to rank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I've read on multiple SDN threads that some surgery programs do not interview for prelim spots. How widespread is this practice? Also I am wondering if anyone knows why a program would elect to not interview candidates for prelim (are interviews that expensive)? I guess it does explain why for example Montefiore in Bronx matched 0 of 20 prelim spots last year as per nrmp data...

Thanks.
Interviews are expensive especially in regards to time.

Many places would prefer to fill with what they can find in the SOAP (or the old Scramble) because they can often pick up someone who overshot for Ortho, PRS, etc. (and didn't match) who are, in some cases, much better than the candidates they would get otherwise since most applicants with great gen surg CVs are not going to just apply for Prelim. In addition, since most Prelims are only around for a year, many programs don't see the sense in spending time and money interviewing them.

Oh and Montefiore doesn't have 20 non-designated prelim positions; most of those are designated and are not filled through the match but saved for subspecialty intern years.

Reactions: 1 user
If they don't interview for the main match, then why does ERAS take money for them? If my top choice doesn't interview until the SOAP, then it's likely I'll match elsewhere because there are places that will interview. This makes me pretty angry and frustrated. It doesn't seem right.

Bumping this thread. Has anyone interviewed for any programs in the Midwest?