MD & DO Programs: having geographic ties vs intent to live in a particular area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darrow O'Lykos

Hail Libertas! - Medical Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When reviewing applicants (either via VSLO or ERAS), do programs take into consideration an applicant's stated desire to live/practice within that program's particular area after training? Having strong ties to the area is one thing and well-established (i.e.: I have family here/am from here originally and therefore would like to attend residency here) versus intent to stay after completion of training (i.e.: my goal is to practice x-field in your region upon completion of my training, and therefore would like to attend residency here). Or is the latter assumed based on the former and by virtue of applying to their program?

Do programs differentiate between the two motivations (especially considering many residents will move away from the area for fellowship)? Does it help to double-down and convey both desires when communicating with programs?

Members don't see this ad.

People already lie about having family in certain areas. I imagine everyone would just say "yes" to your proposed question.

If you really want, you could make a customized personal statement for certain programs/areas with a couple sentences about your motivations for going there.

Members don't see this ad :)
People already lie about having family in certain areas. I imagine everyone would just say "yes" to your proposed question.

If you really want, you could make a customized personal statement for certain programs/areas with a couple sentences about your motivations for going there.
That's literally the ERAS supplemental application. Putting a couple sentences in the personal statement wouldn't make much of a difference unless it was particular programs. In which case, they could permit a short written statement for each program that you send a signal, analogous to the short supplemental statements for the region and urban-ness preferences.

I never really understood the whole point of this. Applicants will obviously apply to the areas they want to live in. And they can obviously change their minds about practicing in any area.

You could make an argument that programs don’t want to waste time interviewing people who would prepare to go elsewhere. But as it is, 95% of positions get filled, and programs going unmatched are in the rare minority. So I don’t think programs are worried about having to fill spots through SOAP.

I suspect it’s because even having a tiny number of residents flip flop is a big enough headache that they’ll care