Programs in the south?

Started by Gutguy2012
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gutguy2012

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking to find a GI fellowship program possibly in the south/southeat (currently in florida-like to move around, but kind of stay close), anyone have any advice or suggestions?

I spoke with the folks at UAB (university of alabama at birmingham), but didnt get a great feel (not negative, just unsure) for the program or city. Anyone heard anything about these guys?
 
UAB used to be a great program for GI, from what I have heard from friends who are residents there. However they have lost a lot of their GI faculty over the last few years. I think their cardiology, rheum and nephrology fellowships are much stronger.
Why did you not get such a good feel from the program people?
 
The answers that I got were just kind of vague, not too much detail about training, exposure, or really opportunity for research (which is what I am looking for). Do you know anyone that interviewed at UAB? I noticed someone mentioned south alabama in a previous post, how is there program? I guess I didnt realize that both had GI fellowships.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The answers that I got were just kind of vague, not too much detail about training, exposure, or really opportunity for research (which is what I am looking for). Do you know anyone that interviewed at UAB? I noticed someone mentioned south alabama in a previous post, how is there program? I guess I didnt realize that both had GI fellowships.

I dont know about south alabama...
I had interviewed at UAB for cardiology. What I am telling you about GI is what I have heard from friends at UAB. I think they had one of the inventors of the endoscope there on staff for several years, and besides NIH funding that was one of their claims to fame. But I think things have changed... would recommend speaking to anyone you know at UAB..
 
UAB's GI program has had some serious issues with faculty turnover in recent years, and I know first hand some of the recent fellows feel as if the training has suffered in recent years. They also do a lot of ERCP/EUS there but fellows for the most part never touch the scope. On the other hand, UAB is a fantastic hospital and institution, and Birmingham is a very livable city with low housing costs, great climate, and great restaurants. And the residents are very good which makes the fellows life easier.