Programs on probation/chairman changes???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ECGcali

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this topic of programs on probation have come up a bit in the past, but I wanted to see if I could dig a little deeper and see if any of you know more details about these programs on probation ( http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/ ) and if it's a real problem? And if there is any information about programs undergoing any significant changes (PD for instance?) and obviously who they are???

As a 3rd year trying to plan aways and the likely places as where to go this would be a great help to me and the rest of those 3rd years in the same boat. (sorry, 4th years. it might be a little late for you guys.)

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/reports/pbProgs.asp

Others, please correct me if I am wrong...UC Irvine is probably in big trouble, may never quite come out from it...

Columbia WILL get off probation, I don't think it's a concern at all.

Drexel...I am not sure...

Baylor is problematic and many of us declined interview there (?) - wait for more interview impression posts then we will know...

That's the only 4 places according to the website...

[4300521005] University of California (Irvine) Program
Radiation oncology
University of California (Irvine) Medical Center
Department of Radiation Oncology
101 The City Drive, South/ B-23, Rte 26/ Zot-2690
Orange, CA 92868
Probation
[4303511068] New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program
Radiation oncology
New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus)
Department of Radiation Oncology
622 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
Probation
[4304111084] Drexel University College of Medicine/Hahnemann University Hospital Program
Radiation oncology
Drexel University College of Medicine
245 N 15th Street, MS 200
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Probation
[4304821098] Baylor College of Medicine Program
Radiation oncology
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, MS: BCM 360
Texas Medical Center
Houston, TX 77030
Probation

What's going on with UCI?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our esteemed moderator, GFunk6, I am surprised not too many applicants are posting interview feedbacks/more blinded rank lists? Maybe until Match Day comes...

Last edited:
Our esteemed moderator, GFunk6, I am surprised not too many applicants are posting interview feedbacks/more blinded rank lists? Maybe until Match Day comes...

Probably too scared. It's understandable but I hope to see a lot of postings, particularly impressions, after March 17.

Probably too scared. It's understandable but I hope to see a lot of postings, particularly impressions, after March 17.

Scared of what? Its an anonymous rank list, so I really don't understand why more people are not posting them.

Scared of what? Its an anonymous rank list, so I really don't understand why more people are not posting them.

I've never quite figured that out. If you see my posting history I was very up-front about posting interview impressions right after the rank list deadline.

Perhaps folks are just lazy . . .

Come on people, a lot of you have gotten mileage from this forum so give back! :)

I think it's impossible to be truly "anonymous" here. (Much the way random number generators don't exist, as they are never truly "random." But I digress.) Believe it or not, some students may be able to discern whose rank list is whose by piecing together what they've come across on the interview trail. Highly perceptive people can also cluster together similar writing styles and figure out if the same author wrote several reviews.

Yes, this sounds ridiculously neurotic, but I believe it contributes to why people aren't posting yet.

mt sinai is getting a new chairperson...

My understanding is that since UCI lost its most favorite peripheral site (city of hope), it's been quite quiet since then. This year they aren't taking anyone. There hasn't been any words regarding if the Program might be able to make a comeback? (Again, not 100% sure, correct me if I am wrong).

On the other hand, City of Hope isn't that strong of a program either...the clinical spectrum is quite screwed with a lot of bone marrows and TBI (that is, with Tomo...) I am not sure if I could see everything disease-wise if I went there for residency...it's quite hard to expand with the size and # of faculty (4 clinical?) they have now, and if anything, my guess is that it would take years...they probably shouldn't have separated from UCI in the first place (?). The only current resident there at COH seems quite contented though. Sorry for the many question marks, I am just not that sure about COH/UC Irvine...In general, the programs in Southern California altogether feel like a mess...(? not sure if others might concur)...UC San Diego is up and coming though, and UCLA will get rearranged soon. Re: Southern Cali, how's the market like for StanleyCup or others for an attending job academically in the future? We'll see...

What exactly do you mean about the SoCal programs feel like a mess?
And why do you think this is if you are correct?

Hi...I do not think of that any more, but would welcome other constructive thoughts posted by others. Apologies.