Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Programs ranking applicants

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by Babycatcher2B, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Babycatcher2B

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As the interview season is coming to a close, I am wondering how programs rank applicants. How much does an applicant's interest in the program affect the way in which they are ranked? Do programs see highly desired applicants and then say "they haven't shown any interest, so we will rank he/she lower." And then see a less desired applicant and then say "they have showed so much interest and want to be here, so we will rank he/she higher." Also, which is the best way to show a program you are interested? Emails, letters of interests, 2nd looks, calling the PD, contacting residents post-interview? Also, how far done my rank list should I put out alot of effort to show that I am interested in their program. I've been told that 2nd looks are not expected but does the program look at a person who has done a 2nd look as being more interested and does that subsequently change their rank. Also I've heard that 2nd looks should be only used for the applicants advantage to determine how they will rank programs. I know this has been discussed some before. But I was wondering if I show alot of interest in a program will that change my ranking or is all the damage already done with the interview. I'd appreciate any insight.

#1 Babycatcher2B, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pruritis_ani

pruritis_ani Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ranking is a very difficult thing. my PD always compared it to getting married after a single date. and, it really isn't even a single date, as there are lots of applicants and interviewers!

as far as interest helping....it sure doesn't hurt! i think it is impossible to say how far up a list you can move by being interested, or how far down you can go by not showing interest. the way i would look at it, is the more you see of a program, the more you can learn about the program, and the program can learn about you.

truly, the interview day is the most important. we look at your application, you talk to people, answer questions, etc....then, we sit down and try to figure out where you fit compared to other applicants. if you are a fun person to be around, and seem enthusiastic and like a hard worker that gets along with everyone, you really do have it made. so, focus on interview day.

i think the smart applicant treats every program like a program they will rank highly. there is no reason to not follow up with an email or a note at each program. they way you contact us makes zero difference. if you want to come back, great! it won't hurt if you don't, but it will help us see you a bit more, and it will help you get a better feel for the program. and, being interested is never a negative.

the ranking/matching process is strongly weighted in the applicant's favor. i would not worry so much about moving up or down an iota on a list by sending an email vs making a phone call. just be honest, express gratitude and interest, and be a person that we want to work with. if you do that, all the rest will fall into place.

good luck

4. DeaconMD04

DeaconMD04 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How about protocol in writing/emailing your top few programs at the end of the interview season? Should you tell your top choice that they are #1? What about the next few? Should you tell them that you are ranking them very highly? I obviously wouldn't tell more than one place that they are #1 for me, but would like my top 3 or 4 to know that I am ranking them way up there.

5. residencycoord

10+ Year Member

There is really no right answer. Every program handles their rank list differently. There are some programs that put a lot of emphasis on those letters telling them that they are #1. Our program ranks who we like on interview day, not what follow-up correspondence we may or may not receive. We make very few changes to our original list. You cannot base your rank list on who you think may rank you highly. You need to make up your list up according to where you want to be. This is four years of your life and you have to be sure that this is what you want to do and that you will be happy at that program.

Good luck to all of you.

6. pruritis_ani

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Again, very doubtful that how or when you follow up is going to make a big difference.

However, many programs (mine included) have a meeting after interviews and discuss the rank list. While it might not move you much up the list, it certainly will NEVER hurt you to be interested. Letting a program know you are ranking them highly is a fine idea.

Keep in mind that we at the programs have heard all of it before. So, we take what you say with a grain of salt. We expect the letters to be nice, and state how happy you would be to match here. And, we have been promised the moon by residents, heard how we will be everyones number one, and seen those same applicants match elsewhere. So, this stuff is NOT the big deal that applicants make it out to be. There is no secret formula.

Be polite. Express interest. Be a good applicant and a pleasant person. Then, make your rank list based on where you want to go. The programs will make a list based upon who we see as the best fit. The rest is up to the computer. Simple, right?

7. Charmed2009

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Couple's matching here. SO freaked out when I included the sentence "My husband and I will be ranking your program in our top three" at the end of one of my thank-you notes. He said it implies we are not that interested in that particular program, but to me "top three" shows incredible interest in a program.

Good idea / bad idea?

8. pruritis_ani

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Again, don't think it matters near as much as you worry it will. It shows interest, that is great. But, PDs have heard it all a thousand times. They are happy that you are interested, will rank you appropriately, and that is all.

In the three matches I have been involved in, I have heard that we will be ranked number one or in the top three tons of times. Many times it is demonstrably false post match...so, the PDs have heard it even more and believe it even less!