Programs requiring Prelim year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elkchaser

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which programs still require a prelim year? I've heard there are still a few out there, and don't want to waste more money than I have to next year when applying (I don't plan on applying to programs requiring an intership). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

elkchaser said:
Which programs still require a prelim year? I've heard there are still a few out there, and don't want to waste more money than I have to next year when applying (I don't plan on applying to programs requiring an intership). Thanks.

I haven't heard of ANY path programs that require a prelim year. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has...

elkchaser said:
Prelim year?! :eek: I don't know of any either. I'll be interested to hear if there are any.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know the only path program requiring a prelim year is the one affiliated with the military - because you have to be a physician capable of responding to medical emergencies as well.

if there are prograsm that DO, please post and make it a sticky so i know which ones to not even entertain!

I think all the programs that require an intern year are up in Canada. Except for the military one(s) that yaah mentioned. Exactly the reason why I decided to stay in the U.S., even though I strongly considered moving up there for residency.

According to FREIDA, there are 3 path programs with a 5 year requirement:

University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center Program

Pennsylvania Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Health System Program

University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Program

stormjen said:
I think all the programs that require an intern year are up in Canada. Except for the military one(s) that yaah mentioned. Exactly the reason why I decided to stay in the U.S., even though I strongly considered moving up there for residency.
You probably would have had an easier time matching into a residency position here than I would! :) I kid you not.

As my prof and former head of dept said - 'This is bureaucracy way above my level'.

geddy said:

I interviewed at USC and they no longer have this requirement. They must not have updated FREIDA.

Hmm. I wonder if there isn't 4+ yr residencies? - AP/CP+integrated research. Doesn't UCSF have those? Seem to recall that UCSF have some PGY-5's... Essentially the same deal as some fellowships, which are rated as two years because the second year is dedicated to research.

Might be off-track, but - along with others - pretty certain that there's no prelim yr in current off'ings.

yaah said:
As far as I know the only path program requiring a prelim year is the one affiliated with the military - because you have to be a physician capable of responding to medical emergencies as well.

Well as a military pathologist-in-training, I can verify that the Navy still requires their pathologists to do a prelim year (but then they almost uniformly have to do a duty tour on a ship too... boo Navy). But the Army and Air Force caught up with everyone else 2 years ago, and discontinued their requirement for a prelim (transistional year).

Members don't see this ad :)
geddy said:

Pennsylvania Hospital does not have an intern year. It's a 4 year program. Freida must have old info.

Programs should get off their butts and update FREIDA. I can guarantee that some people will look at it and freak about the supposed five year residency and decide not to apply at all!

Plus, FREIDA is da bomb and should be updated constantly anyway.

stormjen said:
Programs should get off their butts and update FREIDA. I can guarantee that some people will look at it and freak about the supposed five year residency and decide not to apply at all!

Plus, FREIDA is da bomb and should be updated constantly anyway.
Agreed. Frieda would be awesome if programs updated it more. I used the printed Directory of Pathology Training Programs more than Frieda for this reason. But the info there varies a lot too in the depth and detail.

I agree totally with you guys - if they are going to have a website and service like this, keeping it maintained the way they do is pretty much crap. It has to be someone's job, right? Why even bother?

cytoborg said:
I used the printed Directory of Pathology Training Programs more than Frieda for this reason.
I think we are extremely lucky to have that directory.

An applicant to Anes saw me with it early last year and asked if there was anything similar for Anes.

I grinned.

cytoborg said:
Agreed. Frieda would be awesome if programs updated it more. I used the printed Directory of Pathology Training Programs more than Frieda for this reason. But the info there varies a lot too in the depth and detail.

Where can I get my hands on this directory???

deschutes said:
Your med school library should have it.
Or your path department...check the residents room.