Programs that could be candidates for contracting/closing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Penn State in Hershey, PA, definitely wanted to start a residency training program and was public about it up to about a year or two ago. Not sure where that effort stands currently. In no universe would that program be needed, except for cheap resident labor.

Last I heard this desire still stands but is on pause for now - I'm not sure where the holdup is, but I'm nearly certain the motivation to start a program is still there, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up in the next 5 years. I'll try to dig out more info from a friend.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering what sort natural 'pruning' will occur, or if these spots will just fill through SOAP. My former program interviewed approximately 1/2 to 1/3 the normal number of applicants it usually does, and it's in a relatively desirable area. I can only imagine what's happening at small, geographically undesirable programs.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm wondering what sort natural 'pruning' will occur, or if these spots will just fill through SOAP. My former program interviewed approximately 1/2 to 1/3 the normal number of applicants it usually does, and it's in a relatively desirable area. I can only imagine what's happening at small, geographically undesirable programs.
They could just skip the process. Its less time consuming to SOAP a warm body than Skype with 30 ppl who aren't that interested in your program, and they can then have more free time to option their teslas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just DM'ed by someone with alot of inside info that said that the Willis-Knighton Cancer Center in Shreveport has teamed up with Tulane (a revolving door practice based out of a HCA hospital in New Orleans that is 330 miles from Shreveport with two attendings) to open up an official ACGME approved program with the approval likely to be granted early in 2021. The extreme danger of this is not only that it is a program that is absolutely not needed but if successful provides a blue print for other large private practice groups to open up residency training programs. Private HCA hospitals opening up ER residencies are currently killing off that specialty maybe now rad onc get in on that too now. This whole thing is shocking on so many levels. Basically a bunch of rad oncs that don't give a f**k about anything but themselves at the end of the day. Obviously if this comes to pass the place will be a hell pit program with bottom barrel fmg residents. But hey why not I'm sure someone there really wants to get invited to those SCAROP meetings.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I was just DM'ed by someone with alot of inside info that said that the Willis-Knighton Cancer Center in Shreveport has teamed up with Tulane (a revolving door practice based out of a HCA hospital in New Orleans that is 330 miles from Shreveport with two attendings) to open up an official ACGME approved program with the approval likely to be granted early in 2021. The extreme danger of this is not only that it is a program that is absolutely not needed but if successful provides a blue print for other large private practice groups to open up residency training programs. Private HCA hospitals opening up ER residencies are currently killing off that specialty maybe now rad onc get in on that too now. This whole thing is shocking on so many levels. Basically a bunch of rad oncs that don't give a f**k about anything but themselves at the end of the day. Obviously if this comes to pass the place will be a hell pit program with bottom barrel fmg residents. But hey why not I'm sure someone there really wants to get invited to those SCAROP meetings.
Here's my question: who the hell are the *****s at the ACGME who feel like they can be the gatekeepers to give "approval" of residency expansion?

Reactions: 1 users
They have backed themselves against a wall with approvals of new programs and expansions (columbia most recently and supposedly duke). ASTRO president chairs a program which has never filled outside SOAP.
If these places can’t, why can anybody? Once private places open up residencies the field is done. Put the last nail on the coffin. This cannot be allowed to happen.

Once private places open up residencies the field is done. Put the last nail on the coffin. This cannot be allowed to happen.

I want to say "I can't believe it", but I can totally believe it. Especially with CMS releasing cash for 1,000 new government-funded residency slots, I imagine that will be leveraged by at least a handful of departments to expand.

• Sad
Pruning is occurring. "average" programs in undesirable locations will not fill in 2021

Very interested to see as well. I’m at a mid tier program that would not be considered geographically desired by most people’s standards. We also received about 45-50% as many apps as usual. Thing about places like this, while people from traditionally desirable places are hesitant to come, people who have never lived anywhere else are also hesitant to leave. You can’t fill an IM residency with your own grads but filling 1-2 spots in rad onc is doable. It’s a self-serving prediction for sure, but I suspect the less desirable programs in more desired areas may get hit harder than they expect. Time will tell.

I’m sure someone else has commented but the number of FMGs was astronomically higher than previous years. At least for us. No real surprise there.

i look forward to seeing the next few years, these hell pit “established” and new places filled with FMGs. They will reap what the sow. Pruning talk is wishful thinking. These warm body farms will be replete with borderline pulseless bodies with a criminal record.

Reactions: 1 user
Pruning is occurring. "average" programs in undesirable locations will not fill in 2021
They'll all break out the extra strength ultra-scrubbing SOAP. Can't stop the inevitable.

This is disgusting. Willis Knighton has been looking for cheap labor for several years now. They've had turnover in their employed non partnership track jobs. What do these clowns know about running a residency program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They have backed themselves against a wall with approvals of new programs and expansions (columbia most recently and supposedly duke). ASTRO president chairs a program which has never filled outside SOAP.
If these places can’t, why can anybody? Once private places open up residencies the field is done. Put the last nail on the coffin. This cannot be allowed to happen.
Factually incorrect that they have never filled outside SOAP. But let’s not let the truth get in the way of anything. Not the MO, with certain people.

• Haha
Factually incorrect that they have never filled outside SOAP. But let’s not let the truth get in the way of anything. Not the MO, with certain people.
Maybe you work in some cheap labour warm body farm and stand to benefit. Maybe not!

Last edited:
This is disgusting. Willis Knighton has been looking for cheap labor for several years now. They've had turnover in their employed non partnership track jobs. What do these clowns know about running a residency program.
Has been rumored for years, and I have a strong feeling that this will actually go down. Disgusting.

• Angry
  • Love
I know nothing about the program, but If they actually matched a soon to be unemployed fmg or do, so what? Point stills stands, completely unnecessary program with nothing to contribute.

Reactions: 2 users
I know nothing about the program, but If they actually matched an fmg or do, so what? Point stills stands, completely unnecessary program with nothing to contribute.
I agree, but does the truth matter or not? Can say it’s terrible (I guess), but do we want to be carnival barkers or people producing a data driven / factual response to what’s happening?

If she lies about these types of things, why would we assume anything else is true? We should be better than the lying liars at ASTRO and ABR, not act the same.

• Haha
A broken clock right today! peak time for ya!

1. Say outlandish statement
2. Get called on it
3. Insult the people calling you out
4. Get fact checked and clearly proven to be wrong
5. Insult them and then change subject.

From who have we seen this pattern before? I'm not going to say it, as I don't want to get KHE'd ... may he rest in piece with a plate of biryani (no lamb)

• Haha
1. Say outlandish statement
2. Get called on it
3. Insult the people calling you out
4. Get fact checked and clearly proven to be wrong
5. Insult them and then change subject.

From who have we seen this pattern before? I'm not going to say it, as I don't want to get KHE'd ... may he rest in piece with a plate of biryani (no lamb)
the point of having WVU in any list is what others have said before. It is a program nobody needed or wanted. It is a terrible program or whatever adjective you want to use. Similar to their neighbor UPMC, have been on SOAP multiple times. If they filled with a transfer, And FMG, a person from the region, is besides the point. The chair is now the ASTRO president which is totally relevant.

i will be putting together a good list now that you have imbued me. Coming soon

Don’t feed the troll! Ignored Carbonionangle’s posts a long time ago
Problem is if you want to make things better you gotta get rid of the "John Birch"-esque elements, and each lie has to be accounted for.

We have a clear problem - we have too many residents graduating. We have data supporting this. We don't need nonsense spewed in with it. Sometimes it is hyperbole which people think is funny I guess, but sometimes it is targeting programs and people with lies that can easily be checked. The problem with certain users - the idea of "take them seriously, not literally" - yeah, I get that, but this is a public forum and to continue to allow this without pushback makes the entire community look bad.

• Dislike
the point of having WVU in any list is what others have said before. It is a program nobody needed or wanted. It is a terrible program or whatever adjective you want to use. Similar to their neighbor UPMC, have been on SOAP multiple times. If they filled with a transfer, And FMG, a person from the region, is besides the point. The chair is now the ASTRO president which is totally relevant.

i will be putting together a good list now that you have imbued me. Coming soon
That's fine.

Saying "they have never matched anyone" is just wrong.
That allows the good ASTRO president and others say that SDN is misinformation. Let's not be misinformation.

Reactions: 5 users
That's fine.

Saying "they have never matched anyone" is just wrong.
That allows the good ASTRO president and others say that SDN is misinformation. Let's not be misinformation.
If what you’re looking for is me admitting that they might have matched outside SOAP, then by all means be right. My point is as already stated. But i do take issue with your suggestion that all i do is lie. That’s not true. Ever since you came in here you have called me a broken clock. That is your words not mine. If the dogs are barking, we must be galloping as they say!!

“Might have”?

It’s not might have. They have matched.

You’ve spouted this “fake news” for the better part of a year. And other garbage.

• Haha
“Might have”?

You’ve spouted this “fake news” for the better part of a year. And other garbage.
i literally just told you above that i have no issue with you being right on this. that is not my point. We need to close down programs, new and established which are bad. If you have information to share please do to inform the reader of which programs to avoid. If all you have to offer is seed doubt and say “we don’t know if this is true” then you are not offering them much help. There is no question in my mind there are bad programs. This is not debatable. If i am wrong then please correct it and add to it! I think most of us want the same thing which is to overall improve our field!

“Might have”?

Fake news has been going on for nearly a decade.... starting with our esteemed leadership at ASTRO as well as various chairs/PDs (Hallahan's letter to C Shah in 2013), ASTRO ignoring supervision rules at CAHs but ringing alarm bells about it now in 2020 at non-CAH facilities, denigrating private practitioners partnering with urologists while turning a blind eye to shameless expansion/indications for protons etc.

Let's just say there is blame on both sides (hate to use that phrase but it's apt), but yes @thecarbonionangle should aim to DO BETTER than the gaslighting radonCrock'ers on Twitter and metastatic throughout ASTRO and various institutions around the country

• Care
Oh, blame is one sided... none of the people here caused this mess

Programs, chairmen/women, duplicitous junior and senior faculty, and current residents that know things are going to be bad but gaslight students.

To get buy in, need to stick to facts and be accurate, precise, and targeted. Mudit et. al are doing the work. Piggy back on that, rather then creating opportunities for the venomous people that created this mess to say we are FOS.

Oh, blame is one sided... none of the people here caused this mess

Programs, chairmen/women, duplicitous junior and senior faculty, and current residents that know things are going to be bad but gaslight students.

To get buy in, need to stick to facts and be accurate, precise, and targeted. Mudit et. al are doing the work. Piggy back on that, rather then creating opportunities for the venomous people that created this mess to say we are FOS.
Honestly, not even the “facts” are good enough at this point. Those PD’s, chairs are all going to continue to do what they are doing.

We can all argue day and night on what a “good” quality program should be but as long as we continue to graduate residents at this rate with less indications for radiation, the job market will continue to decline. Going back and forth on SDN isn’t going to matter in the grand scheme of everything.

I
Honestly, not even the “facts” are good enough at this point. Those PD’s, chairs are all going to continue to do what they are doing.

We can all argue day and night on what a “good” quality program should be but as long as we continue to graduate residents at this rate with less indications for radiation, the job market will continue to decline. Going back and forth on SDN isn’t going to matter in the grand scheme of everything.
Agreed. If all is laid bare in 5 years and most grads are unemployed/seeking fellowships (my prediction)they will still try to expand. Happened in pathology. At the end of the day, self interest prevails. All we can do is warn medstudents.

10 posts deleted.

Stop it with the back and forth personal attacks. You can state data, anecdotes, question those data or anecdotes, etc.

Personal attacks and back and forth bickering are not acceptable. I'm handing out warnings if it continues.

If you are posting just to insult another user or call someone on sdn out, just immediately stop and rethink your post. If you think something is inappropriate or out of line, don't respond and click the report post button so we can review.

• Love
West Virginia University Radiation Oncology was in the SOAP in 2020 (1 of 22 programs) but not in 2019 (21 total programs) or 2018 (5 total programs) but was in it in their rookie cycle in 2017 (1 of 4 programs). WVU was accredited in 2016 so they wouldn't have been involved in matching prior to these four cycles. They have a 50% match rate over the history of their program. We'll see what happens to that bating average once the programs in the 2021 SOAP are unmasked.

The acgme should make programs that are in the SOAP 100% permanently easily viewable public information as programs that are on the list year after year raise red flags for potential future applicants. But of course they don't want applicants to have this information for whatever reason.

Last edited:
West Virginia University Radiation Oncology was in the SOAP in 2020 (1 of 22 programs) but not in 2019 (21 total programs) or 2018 (5 total programs) but was in it in their rookie cycle in 2017 (1 of 4 programs). WVU was accredited in 2016 so they wouldn't have been involved in matching prior to these four cycles. They have a 50% match rate over the history of their program. We'll see what happens to that bating average once the programs in the 2021 SOAP are unmasked.

The acgme should permanently make programs that are in the SOAP 100% permanently easily viewable public information as programs that are on the list year after year raise red flags for potential future applicants. But of course they don't want applicants to have this information for whatever reason.

Another thing that is harder to track is when residents leave, transfer, change specialties, etc.
I can think of a few programs that have had that happen and usually it's bad news. You usually only find out the reasons by insider knowledge or if you wanted to track the department resident websites yearly.

they will just avoid soap by matching someone who is not an md from us medical school, or get lucky and match one with criminal background.

• Haha
i literally just told you above that i have no issue with you being right on this. that is not my point. We need to close down programs, new and established which are bad. If you have information to share please do to inform the reader of which programs to avoid. If all you have to offer is seed doubt and say “we don’t know if this is true” then you are not offering them much help. There is no question in my mind there are bad programs. This is not debatable. If i am wrong then please correct it and add to it! I think most of us want the same thing which is to overall improve our field!
Problem is if you want to make things better you gotta get rid of the "John Birch"-esque elements, and each lie has to be accounted for.

We have a clear problem - we have too many residents graduating. We have data supporting this. We don't need nonsense spewed in with it. Sometimes it is hyperbole which people think is funny I guess, but sometimes it is targeting programs and people with lies that can easily be checked. The problem with certain users - the idea of "take them seriously, not literally" - yeah, I get that, but this is a public forum and to continue to allow this without pushback makes the entire community look bad.

I will say on this slap fight between these two users that I am inclined to agree with drewdog on this. If we want folks to take us seriously we should attempt to minimize or eliminate the misinformation present within our forum.

The facts: WVA has a bad track record of matching. They have matched much less frequently than most residency programs, and can be considered (in my and I believe both of the above users' opionions) on the list as a no good very bad residency program. This is a big issue because the ASTRO president is the chair of this program, which seems to signify that ASTRO has no problem with bad residency programs on a national level.

Reactions: 8 users
Quick review of WVU's resident profiles, there is a medical school listed for the residents the years they were reported (by posters above) to have not matched. There is no medical school listed in the profiles of the two residents from the years that they "matched".

Seems strange. May mean nothing. May support theories above. I don't care enough to dig deeper.

Quick review of WVU's resident profiles, there is a medical school listed for the residents the years they were reported (by posters above) to have not matched. There is no medical school listed in the profiles of the two residents from the years that they "matched".

Seems strange. May mean nothing. May support theories above. I don't care enough to dig deeper.
Perhaps they came from the Greenbrier?

I will say on this slap fight between these two users that I am inclined to agree with drewdog on this. If we want folks to take us seriously we should attempt to minimize or eliminate the misinformation present within our forum.

The facts: WVA has a bad track record of matching. They have matched much less frequently than most residency programs, and can be considered (in my and I believe both of the above users' opionions) on the list as a no good very bad residency program. This is a big issue because the ASTRO president is the chair of this program, which seems to signify that ASTRO has no problem with bad residency programs on a national level.
Let carbon eat. Sometimes a puppy disappears.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

Seems strange. May mean nothing. May support theories above. I don't care enough to dig deeper
Things are slow in my department this week, so I dug deeper. Not going to name names, but one of the residents appeared on a school match list, which listed only "prelim medicine". Other people on the list had things like "radiology, prelim medicine". That resident definitely got in outside of the match.

• Love
  • Haha
Why can't programs who don't match through regular means, just allow these spots to stay unfilled? We all know there is a problem and programs aren't willing to voluntary contract so just let the market correct naturally. Places like WVU and their chairman should be ashamed. She trained in 1980s when rad onc was a joke and no one wanted to do it. She probably misses those days and is fine with filling their garbage program with poor candidates!

Penn State in Hershey, PA, definitely wanted to start a residency training program and was public about it up to about a year or two ago. Not sure where that effort stands currently. In no universe would that program be needed, except for cheap resident labor.

I have also heard (but can't confirm) that Willis-Knighton Cancer Center (yes a straight up private practice place in Shreveport, LA) was trying to open a training program by parting with a Louisiana based university hospital system. And of course, in no universe would that program be needed. But who knows it could open up a pathway for somone to become ASTRO president in the future.

Last I heard this desire still stands but is on pause for now - I'm not sure where the holdup is, but I'm nearly certain the motivation to start a program is still there, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up in the next 5 years. I'll try to dig out more info from a friend

This one is in close range of Neha and her flamethrower/dragon. Will be an interesting test of her influence to see which of these disaster programs get off the ground. Not to mention the expansion noted above.

I concurr that this thread now contains factually incorrect info.

You're certainly welcome to fact check and set the record straight. Everyone will be better for it
Also, people should use this thread (and others like it) to beat your respective departments over the head, if you can. There are a handful of posts from the 20-year history of SDN which discuss my department in a factually-incorrect manner. However, I was able to track down where these beliefs were coming from and talked to the faculty, which resulted in changed behavior (for the better). RadOnc rumors don't generally appear out of thin air, as I discovered.

SDN can be a tool of positivity if approached correctly.

(also, now I want to start a podcast called RadOnc Rumors ©️)