Programs with a VA Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blepharite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think of the advantages of a program having a VA Hospital? Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Some programs without a VA have low numbers of resident cases and/or low numbers of cases where the resident actually does the case. This may be because there are fewer cases and/or because the faculty may be quicker to take over cases (but still lists the resident as primary surgeon).

There are, of course, overlap in quality of programs with and without VA hospitals. For example, there's a "programs that suck" thread on this ophthalmology forum. Some of those programs that others lists as bad have VA hospitals.

blepharite said:
What do you all think of the advantages of a program having a VA Hospital? Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks.

In general, it is better to have a VA. And, it is better if that VA is nearby. Also, it is better if the VA ophthalmology clinic is full time rather than a 1-2 day/week deal. Lastly, it is better if it is the only VA in the area where ocular surgery is done (so that you are not competing with another program for patients/cases).

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I just say that it's great to see ophthalmologists like Dr. Doan using the word "AWESOME" in his replies. People like him are the reason ophtho kicks @$$!

Jokestr said:
... are the reason ophtho kicks @$$!

Stone me for saying this, but ENT and ortho also kicks it, too. Ortho residents may even have better work ethic than many ophtho residents, at least from my limited ortho experience.

Having a nearby VA with a full-time clinic is a valuable asset to any program. I'm just finishing my 1st year rotation at our VA and I've learned more in the past three months than at almost any other time in my life. You have autonomy, a busy clinic schedule, a busy surgical schedule, and you are the one making the calls. We always have staff around to help out if we want, but for the most part, we run the show. In my experience, when you're responsible for making the decisions on diagnosis and treatment, you learn so much more than when you're observing.

Of course, there's a time for observation too, but having a time at the VA each year of residency is, in my opinion, a very effective way to train great residents.