Programs with some Nutritional Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSSLP2MD

I aim to misbehave
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been doI got a bit of reading trying to locate which, if any, programs have some good nutritional education.
Now, I'm not saying to take the place of a (good) nutritionist or anything, but many people can't afford referrals out to something other than their primary care. And I don't think it's ever bad to have a good grasp on it.
Most of what I'm finding are articles about how med schools lack this rather than med schools adding this in.
So for those in med school, or working for one, or just know, what do you say?

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts is good. They have a top ranked nutrition school and a USDA funded research center. Lifestyle related health is definitely worked into their curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
It doesn't much matter if the school has a research presence in the topic area, etc, but if they have made time for it in the curriculum. This has been a challenge for the past 35 years, maybe longer.

Perhaps the best you can do is ask during interviews and second looks how many contact hours the school offers and, if you have choices, pick a school that is above average. Here's what was average 5-10 years ago:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20736683

Reactions: 1 user