Programs you love....programs you hate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njib

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thought this was an interesting thread from last year.....
please submit your impressions.

Members don't see this ad.

with half of my interviews down...

Loved: GW, Mt. Sinai

+/-: Georgetown, Montefiore

Hated: RWJ, Washington Hospital Center

What was so bad about Washington Medical Center? The program itself or the people there?

Members don't see this ad :)
why didn't you like rwj?

Loved: Brown, BU

+/-: Montefiore (albert Einstein) and Tufts/NEMC

Based purely on impression made on interview day.

Loved: UAB, UVa, NYU

+/-: Emory, Baylor, T-NEMC

Negative: Columbia

Loved: UAB, UVa, NYU

Renovar, I recently visited your med school's IM program, as well as Wake Forest and UNC among others. I'm having some trouble deciphering these programs in terms of "academic emphasis" given such brief interview day exposures.

To some degree, I think the extent to which a program is considered a "high-powered academic program" corresponds to their emphasis on research and their national prestige. (I haven't yet decided how important these factors are to me.)

My impression of Vandy: Intense, no frills-academic environment; high emphasis placed on research and evidence-based decisions.

How would you compare UAB and UVa to Vandy as far "academic environments?"

BTW, did you interview at these places for categorical IM?

Originally posted by Mick Turition

BTW, did you interview at these places for categorical IM?

Why would I love a program without internviewing there? :cool: And yes, I am applying to categorical.

The question wasn't whether or not you interviewed already; this thread assumes that you have. Just curious how these other programs compare to Vandy in terms of academic tenacity. And BTW, I'll try to stick to the point of this thread from now on. ie. love/hate, etc

Originally posted by Mick Turition
The question wasn't whether or not you interviewed already; this thread assumes that you have. Just curious how these other programs compare to Vandy in terms of academic tenacity. And BTW, I'll try to stick to the point of this thread from now on. ie. love/hate, etc

If you can define "academic tenacity" for me, then perhaps I can have a straighter answer for you. If you can't define it for yourself, I am afraid that someone over the internet cannot as well.

This is a thread that everyone posts their gut feelings about the programs they have visited, not some thread for 2nd-person directed questions. If you want to ask those questions, I think everyone would appreciate the use of PM.

and BTW#3, if you are not interested in answer, dont ask the question.

Like: U of Fl
+/-: VCU, Miami
Didn't like: USC

So far:

Liked: UNC, Wake Forest
+/- Northwestern, Vandy
Disliked: MUSC

More to come...

liked: U of Chicago, Harbor-UCLA, Stanford
+/-: Northwestern, UCLA, UCSD, UWash
not so much: USC,
jury is still out(haven't been yet): Colorado