• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2001
west hartford, CT, USA
Visit site
Status
ok so i've read that it should really be pronounced "phy-zee-a-tree" but hear most people say "phys-eye-a-tree".

which is accepted among the professionals in this field?

-J

Buster Douglas

Unregistered User
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Both are correct. There is a trend toward using "fizz ee at' tree" in order to better distinguish it from the sound of the word 'psychiatry' which in the past has apparently been confusing for some patients and other healthcare professionals.

axm397

SDN Moderator
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status
Attending Physician
If you are on an interview - I would use the "fiz-eee-at-tree" pronunciation since that is the official pronunciation started by Krusen and on the physiatry.org website. Some ppl are real sticklers (sp) for that. I've heard both but I tried to say "fizeeattree" to play it safe.

About the Ads

axm397

SDN Moderator
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status
Attending Physician
If you are on an interview - I would use the "fiz-eee-at-tree" pronunciation since that is the official pronunciation started by Krusen and on the physiatry.org website. Some ppl are real sticklers (sp) for that. I've heard both but I tried to say "fizeeattree" to play it safe.

Finally M3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
phy-zee-a-tree if you are interviewing with Dr. Johnson at Ohio State....we had a five minute discussion about the roots of the pronunciation :laugh:

About the Ads