PTjay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
west hartford, CT, USA
Status (Visible)
ok so i've read that it should really be pronounced "phy-zee-a-tree" but hear most people say "phys-eye-a-tree".

which is accepted among the professionals in this field?

-J

Buster Douglas

Unregistered User
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Both are correct. There is a trend toward using "fizz ee at' tree" in order to better distinguish it from the sound of the word 'psychiatry' which in the past has apparently been confusing for some patients and other healthcare professionals.

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you are on an interview - I would use the "fiz-eee-at-tree" pronunciation since that is the official pronunciation started by Krusen and on the physiatry.org website. Some ppl are real sticklers (sp) for that. I've heard both but I tried to say "fizeeattree" to play it safe.

About the Ads

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you are on an interview - I would use the "fiz-eee-at-tree" pronunciation since that is the official pronunciation started by Krusen and on the physiatry.org website. Some ppl are real sticklers (sp) for that. I've heard both but I tried to say "fizeeattree" to play it safe.

Finally M3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
phy-zee-a-tree if you are interviewing with Dr. Johnson at Ohio State....we had a five minute discussion about the roots of the pronunciation :laugh:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.