Physiatry/Physiatrist pronunciation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted307836

I've always assumed that "fizz-EYE-uh-tree" and "fizz-EYE-uh-trist" were the correct pronunciations for the field and practitioner, respectively. However, I was reading an article about the PM&R profession today in which the author wrote the pronunciation as "fizz-ee-AT-trist." I don't see any reason why it would be pronounced that way, however. Which one is correct?

I see a physiatrist every so often myself. I'd like to talk about my interest in the field without sounding totally clueless...

Members don't see this ad.

Both are accepted ways to pronounce it.

I prefer the first but thats just me. If you consider joining our field then you can pronounce it whichever way you like :D

Also just to add - physiatric exam just doesn't sound right pronounced the first way, so I'm guessing thats partly where the alternate pronunciation started and stuck.

East coast vs rest of the country debate.

I'll call it fizzeeatry when they call it physcheeatry and podeeatry.

A fizzeeatrist sounds like a guy who studies soda.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fizz-EYE-kal Medicine and Rehabilitation?

Per-o-NEE-al, per-O-nee-al.

SENT-o-meter, SONT-o-meter.

An-JIYN-ah, AN-jin-ah.

Potato, Potahto.

sam_lord_of_the_rings_potatoes.gif

Interesting about the "physiatric" reason for this pronunciation. Thanks for the responses.

I have to agree with pmr 4 msk though... patients who see a psychiatrist receive a psychiatric exam. Perhaps I'll issue a directive when I work my way up the ranks a couple decades from now... :idea:

Interesting about the "physiatric" reason for this pronunciation. Thanks for the responses.

I have to agree with pmr 4 msk though... patients who see a psychiatrist receive a psychiatric exam. Perhaps I'll issue a directive when I work my way up the ranks a couple decades from now... :idea:

Didn't Fizz-ee-at-try originate with Ernie Johnson?

By the by, we got a referral for "Phodiatry" the other day!

We are rebranding at our office. Rheum and I share a hallway, ortho is down the next hall. Rather than separate titles including physiatry, we are going with Joint, Sports, and Spine. Leaving out physiatry to allay confusion and pain to allay opiate assumption. But as a PMR trained pain doc, pro physiatry.

We are rebranding at our office. Rheum and I share a hallway, ortho is down the next hall. Rather than separate titles including physiatry, we are going with Joint, Sports, and Spine. Leaving out physiatry to allay confusion and pain to allay opiate assumption. But as a PMR trained pain doc, pro physiatry.

That is highly-intelligent branding, and follows national trends. People know what those 3 words mean. They don't know Rheum or PM&R.

Our group has batted around changing from just an ortho name, to one of several similar to yours, for several years now.

All my new patients get the "What is a physiatrist" brochure to read while waiting to see me.

Neuromusclar Orthopedics and Rehabilitation Medicine.....

although I like "Joint, Sports, and Spine" for MSK practices