Proof of shadowing experience

• Thread starter Deleted member 237747
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 237747

Are applicants REQUIRED to submit proof of hours they claim on applications. I have seen some claiming shadowing experience of 1000 hours. I shadowed a few dentist and they only allow only tens of hours after that he said you are just standing and watching - kind of annoying for dentist too! I can imagine someone working in a dental office in front office or dental assistant doing so many hours. How do they verify what is being claimed in application or they do not check?

Members don't see this ad.

You can request that the dentist that is writing you a LOR gives a rough estimate of how much time you spent in their office in the letter. Other than that, there is not much you can do for verification. Just keep a record of the time you have spent shadowing and be honest.

It's really unlikely the schools check. In fact, I think asdoh was the only school I applied to that even asked for contact info of dentists and volunteer supervisors. Shadowing 1000 hours is a gross misallocation of your time, in my opinion. I don't think it takes more than 50 hours spread over several practices to know whether this is for you. If you're looking for extra exposure that will "look good," seek out volunteer opportunities in clinics. They may be hard to find, but if you can, you'll likely be able to contribute in some way, rather than standing around awkwardly. Shadowing can be weird, but I've never regretted the hours I spend volunteering in the clinic.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen so far, Tufts is the only school that requires a letter from a dentist you shadowed that specifically states how much time you've spent there (needs to be 40 hrs minimum). Other than that, it's all the honors system. Be honest on your application.

Agreed with free99 that 1000 hrs for shadowing is ridiculous and a waste of time. Shoot for 100 as that's what some schools might look for.

Don't worry I always wondered the same thing. One of the dentist I shadowed put it in my LOR. Other wise they have no idea. Uni of Kentucky asked for the contact info and days shadowed. Make sure your days add up to the amount of hours. When you put the amount o hours just give a rough estimate, and always round up! Haha don't shadow more then 100 hrs. I had right at 100ish. But there is a catch, I was told by LECOM that I could double dip my volunteering at a clinic with shadowing. So what I did is take 50 hrs of volunteer and moved them toward shadowing. I had one friend add a zero at the end of everything. For example, he did 50 hrs of shadowing but on aadsas he did 500.... What a *****

I had one friend add a zero at the end of everything. For example, he did 50 hrs of shadowing but on aadsas he did 500.... What a *****

Your friend is terrible. Makes me wonder what percentage of applicants have lied on their application... That would be an interesting statistic.

Reactions: 1 user
University of Kentucky was the only school that requested verification. You have to get the dentist you shadowed to sign this form and put the total amount of hours shadowed. I think it works in your advantage if you're like me and didn't have that many hours when you submitted your app. Before my interview I was able to add another 35 hours which brought me to 100.

Your friend is terrible. Makes me wonder what percentage of applicants have lied on their application... That would be an interesting statistic.

That push to break 50 or 100 hours is probably a common area of rounding up. Way up. Fifty to 500 is just ridiculous though. As is, it seems like a solid GPA and DAT can get you in somewhere with the rest of the app being bland and fabricated. You know some of the overnight career changers (e.g., med to dental) simply take a different test and roll right on in with some minor tweaks.

I used an app on my phone, Hourstracker (I think?) and I used it to track my hours while working, but also used it for shadowing and research as well. It keeps a time and date stamps that go back for years, so if they ask, I can provide dates and times for every dentist I shadowed. Overkill I know, however I just like covering my ace!

I also backed it up to my email that way I have a copy with totals for each category, if I do have to reapply (Hope not!) next cycle.

It's really unlikely the schools check. In fact,
hu11g.jpg

in my opinion, if you shadowed a dentist, then he should be one of your LORS. how he writes about you personally will be indicative of how much time you've spent together

You can request that the dentist that is writing you a LOR gives a rough estimate of how much time you spent in their office in the letter. Other than that, there is not much you can do for verification. Just keep a record of the time you have spent shadowing and be honest.
love your avatar. Team Haverford all the way! #rentasmile