Proof of shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman45342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to obtain proof from all the dentists I shadowed? If so how exactly should I do it? What kind of document should I have/create for them to sign?

If anyone has a template they could send me that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They might ask you about your experiences or ask you to recall a specific procedure or event but that is about it.
So what's preventing someone from just lying on there application? Not saying that I would.

I can't be the only one who thinks the OP is totally going to fudge his/her hours now lol. Was this thread only made for you to confirm whether or not you could make up hours? Honestly I never considered that they wouldn't ask for at least the dentist's name/number or some contact info. Kinda of a weird TIL, now I feel dumb. I don't think I'd be wrong in assuming a lot of applicants bull**** this portion of their app to some extent...damn that sucks.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't be the only one who thinks the OP is totally going to fudge his/her hours now lol. Was this thread only made for you to confirm whether or not you could make up hours? Honestly I never considered that they wouldn't ask for at least the dentist's name/number or some contact info. Kinda of a weird TIL, now I feel dumb. I don't think I'd be wrong in assuming a lot of applicants bull**** this portion of their app to some extent...damn that sucks.
Like I said before, I am not going to risk years of work on this application just so I can say I shadowed a few extra hours.

And I agree with you, it sucks that people can lie about their observation. I see people put down that they have 500 hours and can't help but to think whether it is true or not. It puts honest applicants at a disadvantage.

Nothing stops you from lying on your application. But it's pretty easy to tell if you had shadowed that amount or just said you did when they interview you.

Reactions: 1 user
Like I said before, I am not going to risk years of work on this application just so I can say I shadowed a few extra hours. And I agree with you, it sucks that people can lie about their observation. I see people put down that they have 500 hours and can't help but to think whether it is true or not. It puts honest applicants at a disadvantage.
There are no extra credit points added for having a gazillion hours of shadowing.

There are no extra credit points added for having a gazillion hours of shadowing.
Yeah but when someone who shadowed 0-10 hours puts 150 on their app, that's an unfair advantage. Your response was pointless; you know what that person meant.

Yeah but when someone who shadowed 0-10 hours puts 150 on their app, that's an unfair advantage. Your response was pointless; you know what that person meant.

No, doc's right.

There is almost no advantage. Like I said before, admissions committee can EASY tell if you had shadowed 150 hrs or 10 hrs. And if you only shadowed 10 hr but did enough research to seem like you did 150...then you would stil have the same information as someone who did the hours but still have to lie on the application.

Lying is too much hassle. Might as well do the actual hrs.