Proper bra type for wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelbarrow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a serious question, and I'm hoping the moderators see it the same way. This is a throw-away account, as I don't want this to be the only thing people think of when conversing on these forums with me.

Residents, how much sprinting (or at least brisk hustling) do you do on a daily basis on the wards?

I am wondering if female residents or attendings can lend some insight into which bra type would be best for wards. As a female with a larger chest, I am specifically wondering whether I will need to plan to wear a sports bra every day in anticipation of codes or rapid responses.

Thanks in advance for your mature responses.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a serious question, and I'm hoping the moderators see it the same way. This is a throw-away account, as I don't want this to be the only thing people think of when conversing on these forums with me.

Residents, how much sprinting (or at least brisk hustling) do you do on a daily basis on the wards?

I am wondering if female residents or attendings can lend some insight into which bra type would be best for wards. As a female with a larger chest, I am specifically wondering whether I will need to plan to wear a sports bra every day in anticipation of codes or rapid responses.

Thanks in advance for your mature responses.
wear a bra that fits...and interestingly enough most people do not wear the right bra.

go get properly fitted and you shouldn't have a problem.

I wore a sports bra during all my blocks that involved a significant amount of OB, because running in a conventional bra- even a professionally-fitted one- was uncomfortable.

:corny:

Reactions: 3 users
Lol. I never sprint. I walk fast. A strong supportive underwire works fine. Nobody needs to know how sexy it is under my clothes lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

qR6UR8K1Ia2BO.gif

I'd say whatever is most comfortable for you, and I second getting fitted properly. If you don't really like sports bras, go for the underwire and make sure it is lined properly so you're not giving everyone a free show :)

this is nuts

you jog maybe, not sprint to these things

it's usually against hospital policy for you to run in the hallways, even during a code, last thing they need is for you to run into some little old lady and break her hip

in fact, I remember seeing the code team yelled at to slow down! hahahaha

there's usually someone closer that's already getting the code started
the seconds you save brisk walk/job vs all out sprint not worth the workplace danger if you actually timed it
so don't worry speed demon

anyway, just wear a regular well fitting bra, or sure, if you're in scrubs you can wear a sports bra
I have to layer 2 sports bras tho if I really want the sports bra to do me any good
I dunno, the way sports bras smush things I always felt they made me look fat, and I think that's a bad image for a doc

you can run with your elbows really pushing into the girls, it's not obscene appearing or anything but it does add some extra control/support for the ladies, that's what I would do

or you can brace your forearm across your chest, or each hand fisting one end each of your stethoscope holding them to your chest like you're keeping it from hitting you in the face when really you're controlling boob bounce

if none of that makes sense maybe I'll post some pics

Reactions: 1 users
It really depends where you are--our code team actually does have to run to codes. At a lot of VA's, the SCI unit is in a whole separate building but the code team still covers it. I can't tell you how many out-of-breath interns and residents we get showing up on our unit when a rapid response or code is called. I don't think the team is quite sprinting, but they're not jogging either.

The attending always shows up at least 5 minutes later--they usually stroll in calmly with a cup of coffee.

At my intern program, we had to cover the overflow part of the hospital across the street--that definitely required some running through the long underground tunnel. Unfortunately we, the code team, were in the ICU on the 4th floor of the main hospital--it was a bit of a hustle and since it was just an intern and a senior resident at night, we were usually together in the unit and knew no one else was already nearby to start the code (ie, we both ran fast, unless stuff was hitting the fan in the ICU, then my senior stayed behind and I ran fast by myself and panicked most of the way there...).

We were always a bit bitter about one of those "golf carts" just being parked at one end--if only we could've used it...

As far as what bra to wear, well, I don't really have much experience in that area... Maybe buttoning up your lab coat might also help a little bit though (keeps you warmer when you're wearing scrubs too).

Thank you. It does seem like stocking up on good sports bras (not the uni-boob kind) is the way to go. I've found the VS maximum support to be outstanding, but pretty expensive; this is why I sought other opinions.

Guys, be thankful (?) you don't have anything hanging off your body that's big enough to require $55 of support.

Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. It does seem like stocking up on good sports bras (not the uni-boob kind) is the way to go. I've found the VS maximum support to be outstanding, but pretty expensive; this is why I sought other opinions.

Guys, be thankful (?) you don't have anything hanging off your body that's big enough to require $55 of support.

Thanks again.

413zUHUYBYL._AC_UL320_SR284,320_.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
I think the bigger point gettin glossed over here is that you should never run to codes.

(FWIW, I have had success with a strong supportive underwire bra).

Reactions: 2 users
Running to codes, not so much. Running because the caf is about to close, yes. I can imagine boob bouncing during cpr might be an issue if they are big enough (mine really aren't and even a brisk race to the caf down stairs and everything is fine in a regular bra for me even as a C cup).

Might be worth trying the smart and sexy brand of bras (sold at walmart and online). They have cup sizing for their sports bras and avoid the uniboob but seem to give good support (with the caveat that I don't need much so maybe they aren't great for bigger boobs) and they range from 10 to 15 bucks.

When I first started as a doctor I ran as fast as I could, once I needed nebs when I got there (asthma) so after that I slowed down. Our resus officers always ran but most other people just jogged.

Running in the hospital is dangerous and we were always discouraged. I tell my office staff the same.

However, if you really want something supportive for running (to codes or not), get an Enelle

I was trained to run to certain specific emergencies, like shoulder dystocias. Another way OB is dysfunctional compared to the rest of the hospital, I guess. :p

I've never been around when an adult code pager goes off but on the peds side people sprint to those codes.

I was trained to run to certain specific emergencies, like shoulder dystocias. Another way OB is dysfunctional compared to the rest of the hospital, I guess. :p

The precipitous delivery of a less than 35 week baby makes me run. Stat csections make me run, because the OBs here tend not to wait until everyone has arrived.

I've never been around when an adult code pager goes off but on the peds side people sprint to those codes.

From what I've seen its usually younger EM, surgery and gas residents who actually run toward the code, and it's less about the patient or CPR and more about getting to be the one who will get the practice putting in a line or tube.

The precipitous delivery of a less than 35 week baby makes me run. Stat csections make me run, because the OBs here tend not to wait until everyone has arrived.

Heh, all the anti-runners had me wondering if my training/practice was weird. Guess it's an adults vs. babies/kids thing- never been on an L&D unit where running didn't happen occasionally.

Heh, all the anti-runners had me wondering if my training/practice was weird. Guess it's an adults vs. babies/kids thing- never been on an L&D unit where running didn't happen occasionally.
There is a fundamental difference between running towards someone dead who has minimal chance of reviving and running towards someone in extremis you are going to try to keep from dying. This is why i quickly stopped running to codes (in med school you run because you don't want to miss things which is fine for that level but as a resident you should evolve out of that mindset) but have run to a patient on occasion (sharpest in my mind was a time i was on home call and decided to chance going to a pool party about 10 min drive from the hospital because i figured it takes 30 minutes to get the or team in and that would give me time to change but when i got the call about the unstable little kid with bad gsw's i ran to my car without changing out of my capri pants bikini top and flip flops, sped to the hospital, and ran right into the trauma bay-then operated on her wearing double shoe covers over my flip flops after throwing some scrubs on)

"Fundamental difference" or not, clearly there are some situations that most can agree would be appropriate to at least hustle to, no matter the specialty.

@dpmd - CPR was definitely one of my worries.

As always, SDN brings a smile to my face. Thank you for this thread.

On topic response - I never run to adult codes or rapid responses. Benefit/risk ratio is too low.

I could understand in pediatric or OB settings to run given babies in extremis will generally do better than adults in extremis.

It's a matter of location, also. Floor codes are significantly more likely to be salvageable and also less likely to be run competently in a physician's absence than ICU codes.

It's a matter of location, also. Floor codes are significantly more likely to be salvageable and also less likely to be run competently in a physician's absence than ICU codes.
For sure. The codes I probably rush to the fastest are the ones on our rehab floor. Very rare, but completely unprepared staff (even if nominally ACLS certified) with patients that were otherwise doing OK.

I agree with above
Walk very briskly to codes
But I swear by walcoal bras which are perfect for larger breasted women
Their sports bras are anti uniboob and comfortable enough for a days wear and supportive enough that I am not bouncing all over the place when going to a code
Definitely echo getting properly fitted if you have not already - you would be surprised how many women are in the wrong bra

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't let this thread die. One of the most educational ones ! We need more input. :highfive:

There is a fundamental difference between running towards someone dead who has minimal chance of reviving and running towards someone in extremis you are going to try to keep from dying. This is why i quickly stopped running to codes (in med school you run because you don't want to miss things which is fine for that level but as a resident you should evolve out of that mindset) but have run to a patient on occasion (sharpest in my mind was a time i was on home call and decided to chance going to a pool party about 10 min drive from the hospital because i figured it takes 30 minutes to get the or team in and that would give me time to change but when i got the call about the unstable little kid with bad gsw's i ran to my car without changing out of my capri pants bikini top and flip flops, sped to the hospital, and ran right into the trauma bay-then operated on her wearing double shoe covers over my flip flops after throwing some scrubs on)

Pics?

I won't neglect this thread and I promise one days pics/video showing my technique for how top heavy women can run professionally in a white coat

just need to get around to it

I'm sure we would all professionally appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.