Proper way to withdraw after accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what is the correct policy to withdraw from a school you were accepted at, after you already paid the deposit.

Do you just email them your withdrawal, call and email them, write a letter to them, or call and write a letter?

Does it even matter how I withdraw? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

some wont let you do it over the phone. so email or letter would be the best way to do it. i just want to make sure i get my 100 dollar checks back without having to remind them in my letter ;).

Originally posted by jlee9531
some wont let you do it over the phone. so email or letter would be the best way to do it. i just want to make sure i get my 100 dollar checks back without having to remind them in my letter ;).

lol, i actually remind them to refund my deposit in the letter.:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by linus
lol, i actually remind them to refund my deposit in the letter.:smuggrin:

howd you word it linus? im not in a serious thinking mode right now thats why the only thing i can think of is...."please return my money..." haha.

Since I am no longer interested in holding a place in your entering class, you may refund my $100 acceptance deposit at this time. :p

Yeah, i basically write something like that...these schools always make sure to collect their app fees, so I see no reason why we can't pester them about returning deposits.

Cool. I didn't even think about reminding them to refund my deposit. So do people think email is better or snail mail. I don't like snail mail because I feel like it will get lost in the mail. However, snail mail has your signature so I don't know.

email is the way im gonna go...especially since its faster and i need my money back. i need anything to pay off bills.

do you guys mean that we are entitled to our deposit back from schools?

Originally posted by NTM

Some schools do refund your deposit up to a certain date.:)

I got to get my $$$ back.:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Originally posted by NTM

for most schools...if you get accepted and withdraw your acceptance before may 15th then you are entitled to the deposit you paid for holding a spot in their entering class.

Email it is then. I can't wait to include in my withdrawals "SHOW ME THE MONEY."

I just send a letter that I regret having to withdraw my acceptance and thanking them for the opportunity. I don't even mention anything about the deposit. The 3 schools I sent the letter to have refunded me within 2-3 weeks.

I'm still waiting on a refund on my deposit from UIC. They confirmed my withdrawl on January 27th. I think it's time to start pestering, but I'm not sure how to be tactful about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe no one talked about what the letter should sound like.......

James Smith, MD
Dean of Admissions
XXXXXXXX school of medicine
666 Inner Circle Pl
Death Valley, CA, 66666

Dear James Smith, MD

F^&K you and your school. You guys suck donkey rear and thus I no longer wish to be associated with you losers. I am insulted you didn't send me a rejection letter straight off like BU. Obviously my stats are out of this world and you must be dreaming if you think I want to attend your school.

Cheers and F*&K you all,
Superior Applicant
+pissed+

Originally posted by LaurieB
I'm still waiting on a refund on my deposit from UIC. They confirmed my withdrawl on January 27th. I think it's time to start pestering, but I'm not sure how to be tactful about it.

tact? its your money. i do hope they send it to you soon. maybe they are planning to send it after march 15th.

but maybe you can call and ask politely about the situation and im sure that will work out well.

I really hope I have this problem this year.

what schools are you guys withdrawing from? Make us people who dont have this problem feel better about ourselves for not having this problem.

Originally posted by hope280
what schools are you guys withdrawing from? Make us people who dont have this problem feel better about ourselves for not having this problem.
Well I'll be withdrawing from Temple soon and probably Drexel around Late April. I hope they go to people that really need it.

Pekq, I don't think that letter would fly with the ADCOM. :)

Originally posted by hope280

I withdrew from SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook and Rochester. I'll be withdrawing from 2 more in about 2 weeks.

Good luck all!

I withdrew via snailmail with a return-receipt. That way if I don't get my cashola back, I can say "Don't tell me you didn't get the letter, I've got your autograph." I trust people who work in medical school admissions offices less than "doctors" on infomercials.

BUMP

So I just withdrew by email from Temple and they emailed me back saying that I have been withdrawn and my refund will come in 4 to 6 weeks. It's as easy as that. :clap:

I think acceptance withdrawals should be worded something like this.

Thank you for your interest in gaining me as a student in your medical program. I am sure you will be a successful medical school as there are many other applicants that may be willing to fill my vacancy. Please understand that there are over 100 medical schools in the United States alone, and I can only attend one.

(Of course, I only wish I had this problem. +pity+ )

I called the schools to ask how to withdraw (acceptance and/or waitlist). Some took it over the phone, some took it over the phone, some wanted it in writing.

Withdrew acceptance from Downstate (got my confirmation this week and it stated I will be getting my refund within 4 weeks), and withdrew from Stonybrook & Buffalo waitlists.

bonnie

Originally posted by avicoo
I think acceptance withdrawals should be worded something like this.

Thank you for your interest in gaining me as a student in your medical program. I am sure you will be a successful medical school as there are many other applicants that may be willing to fill my vacancy. Please understand that there are over 100 medical schools in the United States alone, and I can only attend one.

(Of course, I only wish I had this problem. +pity+ )

this is hilarious...