properties of water

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eri3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was taking a practice exam a while back and I remember one of the questions asked, What property of water allow it to climb up on the sides of its container?

I immediately thought that it was bc of capillary action but that wasn't a choice.

The only answer choice I remember was the one I picked and it said; Vapor pressure is highest on the middle, thus pushing the liquid toward the sides of the container.

Any idea on what the possible answers for this question ?

Members don't see this ad.

Was adhesion an option? Adhesion is the ability of water molecules to stick to unlike substances, which allows for capillary action

Was adhesion an option? Adhesion is the ability of water molecules to stick to unlike substances, which allows for capillary action

No it wasn't I was looking for that also, but there was something about surface tension. Idk how surface tension would allow water to climb up its container though.

I think it's surface tension. Always, anything special about water mostly points to its polarity and hydrogen-bonding. That's why water molecules stay together, and if one water molecule climbs up a column, it also pulls other nearby molecules due to H-bonding. What other answer choices are there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cohesion is related to surface tension which is attraction between like substances. Strong cohesion--> produces high surface tension (therefore insects can walk on water without disturbing it)

For the question you asked- to climb UP or otherwise AGAINST gravity has to do with adhesion/capillary action.

I don't see how surface tension has anything to do with water flowing against gravity...what were the answer choices? maybe you misread the question somehow? or there is a mistake in that source.

I found this in AP Barron's " water moves up a tall tree from the roots to the leaves without the use of energy by what is referred to as transpirational-pull cohesion tension, as one molecule of water is lost in the leaves by transpiration another is drawn from the roots

capillary action in AP Barron's is defined as 'combined forces of cohesion and adhesion'

Sry I don't remember the exact question or answer choices, I just thought that it was an interesting question. I do remeber that the question was on the GC section(so maybe the right answer did have something to do with polarity) but you would think that it would most likely show up on Bio.

Sry I don't remember the exact question or answer choices, I just thought that it was an interesting question. I do remeber that the question was on the GC section(so maybe the right answer did have something to do with polarity) but you would think that it would most likely show up on Bio.

well in that case if you don't remember the question or answer choices if it has anything to do with moving water against gravity it has to be capillary action