Pro's and Con's of Ed Via/New DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well like a few others around here I received the call from Nann (sp?). Ed Via wants me to submit a secondary. My buddy who is an MSI at LECOM thinks I should not even bother, but my curiosity is peaked.

Pro's/Con's/Thoughts?

I know AZCOM is faily new (1996?), I think NOVA is pretty new too.

That means that AZCOM doesn't even have but one or two classes that have received residencies somewhere, to go by. I know that will be the biggest con mentioned and wanted to point out many other schools, popular schools face the same dilemma.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

issue is that it is new and none of the bugs are worked out.
My pre-med advisor tried to find out what the deal was with them, about who the dean would be , and the faculty. From what he heard, the dean was a good guy but didn't know about the faculty. So its up to you.

I applied too, but I have not heard a peep from them.

Seems to me that you probably need to interview there, and check it all out in person. Being a bit concerned about a new school is reasonable enough, but (as AZCOM proves) being a new school doesn't always mean a school that doesn't have it together. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
im sure it'll be an excellent school, but it wont be perfect the first year, more so than usual. They're learning as you are too in a manner of speaking.

I would go only based on the fact that I liked the Virginia country side, driven through it a couple times. the school hasn't done anything to show its strengths or weaknesses.

I just heard from EVVCOM to send in my secondary and after that they will schedule my interview upon receipt of that. I actually think EVVCOM stands a good chance though it is new b/c it is affiliated with a very good engineering school Virginia Polytechnic.

here's my $0.02:

There are always inherent risks in attending a brand new school. The school could fail. If it does then you are stuck trying to transfer (not easy when you have 149 classmates in the same situation). New schools can and often do turn into quality institutions. Just look at the match results for the first graduating class from TUCOM. Deciding to go to a school such as VCOM takes a lot of thought. If you get accepted to another school, you will have to think long and hard about what the benefits of attending a new school would be.

Needless to say, the facilities at VCOM will be state of the art. They will be finished building the school sometime next spring and it will be nice. It is also on the campus of Virginia Tech and VCOM students get to use the VT facilities as though they were VT students. So you know that you will have a lot of frills that most other private osteopathic schools don't have (ie. large recreational facilities, division 1A football team that is almost always ranked in the top 25, top class dining facilities on campus, and the list goes on and on). The two schools will be sharing faculty members and I'm sure before too long there will be joint DO/PhD programs as well as other joint programs.

So, if I get into TUCOM (should get the letter today) or UHS (interview next wednesday), then I wouldn't consider going to VCOM. But if it is the only school I'm accepted to, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be there in the fall.

The bottom line is you need to weigh out the risks and benefits of attending a new school. You will have no 2nd year students to help guide you along. And you will have no idea what the clinical years will hold in store for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck as always,

WannabeDO

First off, NSUCOM (not Nova), is NOT a new program. Its been around since the late 80s, when it was called Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine (SECOM). It merged with Nova University 5+ yrs ago... so now its called NSUCOM. Its on a new campus (been there about 4-5 yrs)...

Like the above poster said, there are pros and cons abuot going to any new school... much like going to a brand new residency...

Pro: You will have a lot of input on the way things are done... you might actually help in building the fonudation of many thousands of future physicians in the past.

Cons: The school could go under adn you're out 200k. Just kidding. But that is a possibility. The big con I think is the faculty... who knows how good they are, or what. You'll get a good education, the AOA will see to that. And you needn't worry about getting a DO residency, since there aer so many more spots than applicants...

I am from VA, and if i were in your shoes and applying, I might take the school over where I'm at now... just because it might be a little cheaper (don't know the tuition), and I would be closer to home. But on the other hand, I got to go to FL for 3+ yrs.
Q

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I am from VA, and if i were in your shoes and applying, I might take the school over where I'm at now... just because it might be a little cheaper (don't know the tuition), and I would be closer to home. But on the other hand, I got to go to FL for 3+ yrs.
Q

As far as I understand, the tuition is around 30K give or take $1500. It says on the website. It also says that it is an all inclusive tuition and includes all of your books/supplies (though not quite as nice as the free laptop from pcsom). It also includes such things as associated student fees for VT.

not such a bad deal considering other options.