Pros/Cons of a laptop curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what the pros/cons are of a laptop curriculum in dental school. I know there are ahandful of dental schools out there that have completely switched to this style of teaching (UT San Antonio being the first and pioneering the way). To those students who have experience in this style of dental program, and to those with any opinion, what could be some of the pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

Slash said:
I'm curious what the pros/cons are of a laptop curriculum in dental school. I know there are ahandful of dental schools out there that have completely switched to this style of teaching (UT San Antonio being the first and pioneering the way). To those students who have experience in this style of dental program, and to those with any opinion, what could be some of the pros and cons?

Are you serious? What does this mean? Just for the first two years of basic science? If that is the case, I think it is a fantastic idea. I am all about learning info in the comfort of my own home. No need to be spoon fed - we are all adults now, right? Of course, learning clinical skills by laptop? I don't think so and doubt that this is the case. Anyone know more about this and what other schools are moving towards this? If you tell me UMd, I would be thrilled! I know they are making changes (big changes) to their curriculum. Please tell me more...

The laptop "curriculum" that San Antonio is using is VitalSource and it is primarily a set of computerized textbooks. I'm pretty sure that it isn't intended to teach any kind of critical skill or anything like that. It has it's advantages such as being able to search for a topic through a number of different resources (or texts) at once versus getting all of your textbooks out and searching the indexes individually. However, I have heard that some students don't care for it because they're used to having an actual text that they can tab, highlight, etc.

From what I understand, UNC is also going to VitalSource and the students have the same complaints. Another advantage is that you can take your laptop to the clinic which is wired. I believe they also use them to access patient information, etc.

This information is just what I gathered from interviews and talking to students, etc. They would probably have better insight on the actual "resource" that it is. ...but that's my $0.02

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, NYU and BU also have computerized textbooks on a dvd. Not sure what the pros and cons are though.

Buffalo has EVERYTHING on the laptop; you don't buy one textbook. The students said that it's great to be able to search for a topic, but sometimes, for long bouts of reading, they miss paper books. (You can print anything for free at the library, but then you have lots of loose paper flying around). I can't really decide if I'd love it or hate it.....the computer is PRICEY (~$3500), but it's cheaper and lighter than books! My eyes get sore from looking at a monitor forever, so I'd probably print out some big chunks of reading....

I love it! Wouldn't go back to paper textbooks or scatching notes done on paper ever again. Having all of the ppt on file for every class is so nice when the tests role around. I have only gone through one semester of it, our computer cost 1600$ not too bad. UNLV has been doing it since they started 4 yrs ago. Its great.