Pros/Cons of waiting for pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhj0004

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a year away from graduating with my bachelor's degree in biomedical science. I'm really burnt out on school and would like to take a break for a year or two after I graduate. I was just wondering, what would the pros/cons be for waiting a few years to apply to pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it all depends on what you plan to do during your gap year. If you can use the year to work full time in a research lab or pharmacy, both of those would be good uses of your time, would help you prepare for the profession and be a good addition to your application. However, once you take a break from school, it can be very difficult to go back, so make sure you have a plan laid out for going back to school. You also need to be aware that the further removed from school you are, the more difficult it will be to obtain letters of recommendation from your professors. Ask them now, and make sure you keep in contact with them over the next year or so. Finally, some schools have time-limits on science coursework, and you may find yourself needing to repeat classes that are older than 5 years.

Definite Pros:
1. take the year to study for and take the PCAT (rather than juggling undergrad courses and studying for the PCAT at the same time)
2. for the same reason above, less stress when applying to pharmacy schools
3. perhaps volunteer at a pharmacy or study to receive a pharmacy technician license or just work (part-time)
4. travel! since you won't have much leisure once school starts

Cons
1. you might feel like you're getting behind compared to your other friends who might be applying to pharmacy/medical school, but that is totally fine!
2. tuition might increase a bit

i am currently taking a year off after undergrad and i love it! like you said, going from undergrad and straight to pharmacy school can burn anyone out. take your time and do what works best for you! good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone whose taking a gap year, here's my opinions from my personal experience.

Pros:
1. I feel that I will be more concentrated in pharmacy school.
2. Boosts your application through ECs or more coursework

Cons:
1. Feel like you're left behind by friends who are working/in graduate programs.
2. You get bored... Really really fast since all your friends are busy.

There are people who have great experiences during their gap years. I was not one them. Another option is to take the summer off before starting pharmacy school to travel. IMO, 2 months is plenty.

I have a year left as well before graduating. I know for a fact that I'll be taking a break. The stress of school is really taking a toll on my physical health as far as stress and anxiety goes. I feel like if I jump right into pharm school I would not be focused.

Im be sticking around this thread as well to see the pros and con's.

Sent From LSA's Most Opinionated DIVA...Deal!

Thanks for the replies everyone! They're really helpful.

wait, study for the mcat and apply to md and DO schools