Prospective Applicants--Low GRE's? THERE'S HOPE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenny5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to put some hope out in the world for everyone who went through what I did.
I honestly thought that I would not get into graduate school because of my GRE scores. I took the GRE 2x, and both times I studied my ass off. Both times I got 1100 (the second time, my Quantitative score was a 520!).
I applied to 19 schools, but I got 7 offers (all from very competitive programs).
So, there's hope for all of you out there feeling hopeless! Keep the faith that good old fashioned hard work can pay off.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congrats! That is pretty impressive stats for the application process. However, I would like to add one point. While low GREs are not the end of the world, it is only one piece of the puzzle. If you have other things to compensate for a low GRE (like great research experience, solid clinical experience, etc.)--then yes, a low GRE is not the end of the world. Yet if you are a little weak in other areas, a high GRE can help you. Also, you cannot forget the one factor above all--luck. You can have the best creds or GRE, but sometimes you just can't get in.

As everyone here, I apprecaite you for sharing. I just wanted to elaborate a bit on this for other visitors.

I believe higher GRE scores will get you in faster and easier than any other part of your profile. As LOTS of people had mentioned in a thread months ago, some students on admissions committees or who knew people on admissions committees said that for some programs, the GRE was the first cut. And as someone else has said in the last few days- I cant remember which poster- high GREs (and good research experience) will get you a fellowship or a great stipend. Fabulous clinical experience, good letters of recommendation, and a great GPA, in combination with low GREs, often will not.

Jenny5- you are great! It's awesome you were so successful with applying.