Prospective Pre-Vet Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAJ2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in becoming a Veterinarian. My two school options would be Rutgers, B.S. in Animal Sciences and Fairleigh Dickinson 7 Year B.S. in Biology / D.V.M at Saint Ross. From FDU I'd have like a 26,000 scholarship so the prices of both are comprable? I'm confused with the fact that Rutgers doesn't have the funding to buy out of state vet seats...am I screwed? If I pass up this 7 year option are my chances severely limited? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have good grades and GRE scores, as well as a good amount of experience with animals and in the vet field, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to go to Rutgers and apply to a vet school you're interested in. Several schools have a large number of seats to give away to out of state students, so you would definitely have a chance. Also, some schools have contract spots where they take a certain number of students from certain states each year. You'd have to look up which schools have contracts with where though.

And I was just looking at the FDU program and you still have certain requirements you have to meet to end up getting accepted to Ross for the final part of that program. For instance, is looks like you will have to take the MCAT instead of the GRE if you choose that route. Just something to consider as well.

I'm interested in becoming a Veterinarian. My two school options would be Rutgers, B.S. in Animal Sciences and Fairleigh Dickinson 7 Year B.S. in Biology / D.V.M at Saint Ross. From FDU I'd have like a 26,000 scholarship so the prices of both are comprable? I'm confused with the fact that Rutgers doesn't have the funding to buy out of state vet seats...am I screwed? If I pass up this 7 year option are my chances severely limited? Thanks.

Okay, a few things. Other people will add more, but here's what I've got:

1. Do you mean St. George, or Ross? Those are two separate schools in the Caribbean that are newly AVMA accredited.

2. Are you guaranteed entrance into SGU/Ross if you go to FDU? I think you're referring to some sort of guaranteed admissions program... the school doesn't "buy" seats at a vet school. What state are you a resident of? That usually determines which school is most economical and realistic for you to get into. Your residency is what is most likely to "buy" you a seat. Undergraduate institutions don't normally have contracts or any sort of sway on your vet school admissions beyond being the place you did your coursework.

3. Caribbean schools are more expensive often (depending on which state you live in), and can be a difficult for a lot of people. I, personally, would not find a guaranteed admission program from an undergrad that appealing. I did 3 years in undergrad and was accepted into every vet school I applied to (all US, AVMA accredited schools). I didn't have a BS and I didn't go absolutely crazy trying to do it. You don't need fancy contract situations to get into vet school. Being the beautiful and unique flower that you are is enough. :)

4. My general advice is: Pick a school that is financially a smart choice, and one where you think you can succeed in the environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the consideration of Rutgers, I'm guessing that OP is likely a NJ resident. New Jersey currently doesn't have any contract seats with any vet schools, which is what I assume the OP means by Rutgers "buying out of state vet seats," but, OP, this isn't a reason to feel discouraged at all. Tons of students get into schools as out-of-state students and while you might have to apply slightly more broadly and more smart, this certainly won't keep you from getting into vet school.

Yeah, I am an NJ resident. I will probably go to SEBS- Rutgers because they do some things w/ horses as far as genetics there. They would both be around the same price.

Thanks for all the advice.

Yeah, I am an NJ resident. I will probably go to SEBS- Rutgers because they do some things w/ horses as far as genetics there. They would both be around the same price.

Thanks for all the advice.

There's a girl from NJ in my class (might be more than one, I get all of the Coasties confused!). Y'all are welcome here in Missouri! Mizzou allows students to get in-state residency after the first year, so it's one of the most affordable options for out of state students (I'm originally from Wisconsin, and this made it possible for me to choose an alternate school).

Something to keep in mind when you're applying a few years down the road. Good luck!

Yep, Ohio State CVM lets students gain residency after a year as well. There's a BUNCH of East Coasters in my class.

Hi SAJ2012,

I graduated from Rutgers University, then Cook College (now SEBS) with a BS in Animal Sciences in 2001. I LOVED it there! In fact, I traveled from Massachusetts specifically to attend that particular program and paid out of state tuition (for undergrad) for all four years. I'm still paying on it, and will be paying on it for a number of years in the future.

A few words about the RU Animal Sciences department and program. Although I graduated over 10 years ago, I doubt that the heart/soul of the program has changed significantly in that time. The faculty are fantastic- they knew all of their students on a first name basis, and really went out of their way to help you in your academic (and even personal, in my case) struggles. They want you to succeed in ANY career that you choose, including veterinary medicine. Many, many people (at least 8-10) from my graduating class (as well as those before me) were successful in obtaining admission to vet school. I have friends with whom I'm still in contact who attended Iowa State and Cornell, but am well aware that folks also attended Ohio State, Tufts, Oklahoma State, etc. Unfortunately, due to the state of the economy, NJ no longer contracts with any vet schools. That was certainly an attractant when folks were attending RU in my day.

There are a TON of opportunities to get involved with hands on animal experience during your undergrad experience at Rutgers. You mentioned the equine program- it's stellar, and I participated in research with this group for 3 out of my 4 years at school. I know well, and am still in contact with 2 of the major faculty within this division of the Department. Back when I was finishing school, Rutgers launched the 'Equine Science Center of Excellence,' which is a major resource for horse-related programs/initiatives within the University itself as well as the state at large.

In short, I obtained a fabulous education at Rutgers. I would do it all over again, no question. I began my undergraduate training in 1997 with the express goal of wanting to become a veterinarian. Due in large part to the research experience I gained at RU (I worked on projects pertaining to exercise physiology in Standardbred horses- ask to see the high speed treadmill facility if/when you visit), I changed that goal to a career in basic science upon graduation. I attended graduate school at the University of California, and am now applying to veterinary school with the goal of becoming a laboratory animal/research vet- a totally different goal than I had when I was 21 and graduating from school (I'm now 32- a non-traditional applicant).

I love to plug my school, and do so shamelessly any chance I get. I am a huge supporter of Rutgers, and hold the institution very close to my heart. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I'd love to speak with you about the program.

Best of success! I hope you decide to go for my alma mater!

I'm also a Cook College Grad('07)!! There were a lot of pre-vets in my class and there are a lot of great hands-on animal opportunities as there is a farm (pigs, goats, sheep, horses, dairy cows) on campus. I was definitely more research-oriented throughout most of undergrad, but spring semester my senior year I took a class with a pig and was hooked!
First of all, to the OP, Rutgers doesn't buy vet seats, the state of NJ does. according to this: http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/vmcas/general school info chart_2012_final.pdf
there are seats at tuskegee. There used to be more at OK and Tufts. Second, just because you're from NJ doesn't mean you are screwed. I knew lots of people who went to school OOS (Ohio, Cornell, NCSU, etc). If you have good grades/GRE/experience/etc, there's no reason you can't get in OOS in the US or abroad. I'm at RVC (ULondon) and I love it thus far.
Rutgers has some great opportunities and if you have the initiative to search for those opportunities you'll have an amazing experience.

Breenie::
I am currently looking into switching my major to pre vet. I saw in your post you said that you only did three years undergrad and got into every school you applied for. Thats kinda the route I'm looking to go and I am very worried I wont be able to get in without a BA. May I ask what your GPA was/ animal expirience, I want to increase my chances as much as possible! Thanks so much!

Breenie::
I am currently looking into switching my major to pre vet. I saw in your post you said that you only did three years undergrad and got into every school you applied for. Thats kinda the route I'm looking to go and I am very worried I wont be able to get in without a BA. May I ask what your GPA was/ animal expirience, I want to increase my chances as much as possible! Thanks so much!

That's what I'm doing. But I'm also an Animal Science major. While I'm mostly taking prereqs, there are also awesome hands-on classes that I can take each semester where I learn really cool things with LA. And if I don't get into vet school on the first try, I only have one year left to finish my degree and I will apply the next year with a degree.

I don't have any veterinary experience yet though, so I will really have to work on that, because I'm applying in two years already if I want to get in after three. (Which makes me realllyy nervous btw)

(Pre-vet is also not a major. Js. ;))