Quantcast

Prospective students with a foreign undergrad degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathani1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in Computer Technology from a British University. I assumed that my degree would 'count' for med school application, and that I just needed to get the prerequisite pre-med classes postbaccalaureate (and of course take the MCAT).

Now I'm told by a pre-med advisor that my degree is not acceptable for entry into med school. Why? It has fewer classes on the transcript (classes last a year instead of a semester), and also there is not a broad range of disciplines (social sciences, sciences, languages, etc.).

My question: Have any students with foreign degrees -- particularly British ones -- been admitted into med school? Any help/input appreciated!

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You may want to post this on the pre-allo board as there are many more eyes there.

jonathani1 said:
I have a BS in Computer Technology from a British University. I assumed that my degree would 'count' for med school application, and that I just needed to get the prerequisite pre-med classes postbaccalaureate (and of course take the MCAT).

Now I'm told by a pre-med advisor that my degree is not acceptable for entry into med school. Why? It has fewer classes on the transcript (classes last a year instead of a semester), and also there is not a broad range of disciplines (social sciences, sciences, languages, etc.).

My question: Have any students with foreign degrees -- particularly British ones -- been admitted into med school? Any help/input appreciated!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.