Prostate cancer practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droption

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty self-explanatory.

Do you think you can survive in the community with just Prostate Cancer? If not, what about if you add bladder and kidney?

Members don't see this ad.

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering. Some people only do lung or breast.
Can you live just on prostate?

Members don't see this ad :)
It happens, I know of one who recently retired. But if you're starting out in the community building a practice you'll want to be at least GU focused across the spectrum (prostate, bladder, kidney, testicular, etc) to fill 4 days of clinic. Otherwise need to be in academics to be that specialized.

Not easy I think, I know an Oncologist that specifically works with a very large Urology practice however the issue is initial ADT and also oral drugs the Urologist prescribe in most situations, leaving on chemotherapy and more complicated patients for you for prostate cancer to deal with. I dont that that person only did prostate though, other GU malignancies as well.

I think this would be hard to do starting out but is more of a setup you find yourself in toward the end of your career if you’ve carved out that specific niche, I could be wrong though as in a younger dude

Generally difficult, but not impossible, in a community setting. Would need to be a large group practice and you'd definitely need to be flexible and more inclusive in early practice.

Sounds excruciatingly boring to me but whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: 1 user