Anticoagulation in Cancer Associated Thrombosis (CAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of you would turn OFF the anticoagulation after 6 months, right? [say in a patient with an index PE at the time of her CA diagnosis. Now 6 months later, she is 'cured' of CA, surgically complete, rads/chemo complete, has had no further VTEs and is otherwise healthy.]

Do you believe in checking D-Dimers/hs-CRP? Link: D-dimer and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels to predict venous thromboembolism recurrence after discontinuation of anticoagulation for cancer-associated thrombosis

Members don't see this ad.

Most of you would turn OFF the anticoagulation after 6 months, right? [say in a patient with an index PE at the time of her CA diagnosis. Now 6 months later, she is 'cured' of CA, surgically complete, rads/chemo complete, has had no further VTEs and is otherwise healthy.]

Do you believe in checking D-Dimers/hs-CRP? Link: D-dimer and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels to predict venous thromboembolism recurrence after discontinuation of anticoagulation for cancer-associated thrombosis
I do. That study is hypothesis generating only and hasn't entered standard practice, or guidelines. It also included 40% patients with mets (who never get to go off anticoag unless there are other absolute contraindications) and only used LMWH, not DOACs which are SOC now. Also, I like to punch hospitalists that get D-Dimers on patients with active/recent cancer.

Patients as you describe can go off anticoag after 6 months, assuming all curative intent treatment is complete and any indwelling catheters are removed. Patients with metastatic disease, or those treated non-operatively for a Stage III unresectable (anatomically, or medically) cancer, get to stay on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I like to punch hospitalists that get D-Dimers on patients with active/recent cancer.
I totally agree.

But what about checking D-Dimers in the outpatient setting, when the patient is far removed (say > 6 months) from any treatments, lines, etc. No one has touched her. Reasonable to check a D-Dimer when turning off the AC, then again 1-2 months later? x2 negative D-Dimers, has a pretty good negative predictive value, some justification for turning off the AC? Or don't bother: just turn off the AC?

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree.

But what about checking D-Dimers in the outpatient setting, when the patient is far removed (say > 6 months) from any treatments, lines, etc. No one has touched her. Reasonable to check a D-Dimer when turning off the AC, then again 1-2 months later? x2 negative D-Dimers, has a pretty good negative predictive value, some justification for turning off the AC? Or don't bother: just turn off the AC?
This is the thing. At that point, you've already turned it off. Are you going to turn it back on again 4-12 weeks later just based on the D-Dimer? I wouldn't. In someone with a clear provoking factor that you've removed, you're done. You wouldn't do it for a smoker on OCPs who stopped both of them and finished their anticoag, so why do it for cancer?

This is the thing. At that point, you've already turned it off. Are you going to turn it back on again 4-12 weeks later just based on the D-Dimer? I wouldn't. In someone with a clear provoking factor that you've removed, you're done. You wouldn't do it for a smoker on OCPs who stopped both of them and finished their anticoag, so why do it for cancer?

yeah, makes sense, thanks.

ASH guidelines

Long-term treatment (>6 months) for patients with active cancer and VTE.​

Recommendation 32.

For patients with active cancer and VTE, the ASH guideline panel suggests long-term anticoagulation for secondary prophylaxis (>6 months) rather than short-term treatment alone (3-6 months) (conditional recommendation, low certainty in the evidence of effects ⊕⊕◯◯).

Recommendation 33.

For patients with active cancer and VTE receiving long-term anticoagulation for secondary prophylaxis, the ASH guideline panel suggests continuing indefinite anticoagulation over stopping after completion of a definitive period of anticoagulation (conditional recommendation, very low certainty in the evidence of effects ⊕◯◯◯).

Recommendation 34.

For patients with active cancer and VTE requiring long-term anticoagulation (>6 months), the ASH guideline panel suggests using DOACs or LMWH (conditional recommendation, very low certainty in the evidence of effects ⊕◯◯◯).

ASH guidelines

Long-term treatment (>6 months) for patients with active cancer and VTE.​

Recommendation 32.

For patients with active cancer and VTE, the ASH guideline panel suggests long-term anticoagulation for secondary prophylaxis (>6 months) rather than short-term treatment alone (3-6 months) (conditional recommendation, low certainty in the evidence of effects ⊕⊕◯◯).

Recommendation 33.

For patients with active cancer and VTE receiving long-term anticoagulation for secondary prophylaxis, the ASH guideline panel suggests continuing indefinite anticoagulation over stopping after completion of a definitive period of anticoagulation (conditional recommendation, very low certainty in the evidence of effects ⊕◯◯◯).

Recommendation 34.

For patients with active cancer and VTE requiring long-term anticoagulation (>6 months), the ASH guideline panel suggests using DOACs or LMWH (conditional recommendation, very low certainty in the evidence of effects ⊕◯◯◯).

I agree with 32 (>6 months) and 34.

33 (indefinite) doesn't sit well with me. A 42-yo that had a small DCIS and a DVT at the same time, many months/years after all treatments and no further VTEs needs to be AC indefinitely?

I agree with 32 (>6 months) and 34.

33 (indefinite) doesn't sit well with me. A 42-yo that had a small DCIS and a DVT at the same time, many months/years after all treatments and no further VTEs needs to be AC indefinitely?
Note that these are all for "active cancer". Your resected DCIS patient doesn't have active cancer.

Reactions: 1 users